Mac Virgin

Reaction score
I am currently a Mac virgin, however am currently and have been looking into it for a while.

Is there anything I should know before venturing into the world of Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Some insights here to making the change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz MacBook '07, 1.83 GHz Mac Mini '06, 700MHz Emac 2003, 400MHz Imac 2001
Just take it easy with graphics intensive or memory intensive programs at first. Also, avoid downloading every neat gimmick you can find online.

Reaction score
Dont make fun of people still useing old Macs as we found them first and fought the battle with big PC. Enjoy your Mac and good luck to ya. Welcome aboard.

Reaction score
If you're ready to learn a new OS you'll love it, just be open minded, and remember, it's nothing like Windows so it might take a week or so to get used to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I agree this is a wonderful OS, it might seem a little harder than windows because many of the things are simple and we just tend to over think things to often. But one of your greatest resources will be this forum, and anyone else you know that owns a mac. Also a thing that is great is that we now have the ability to run both Mac OS X and windows on the same machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Couple of things. 1. Hardware - if you have a good keyboard and good wireless mouse, hang on to them and use them with the Mac - the Apple products are, to say the least, pretty bad. 2. Software - check out the programs you use most frequently to find out a) whether a Mac version is available and, if not, b) whether a viable alternative exists. For example, I've failed to find an html editor that matches Homesite - and I've tried them all - and replacing things like Photoshop with the Mac versions can get expensive. So I use VMFusion and have a virtual Windows machine on the iMac. Since discovered there's a free alternative, VirtualBox.

In general, though, go ahead - you'll enjoy the difference and the almost total lack of those kind of notices that say, 'Sorry we have close now, would you like to send a report to Msoft'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
1. Hardware - if you have a good keyboard and good wireless mouse, hang on to them and use them with the Mac - the Apple products are, to say the least, pretty bad.
Not really its just that their mighty mouse is bad, I say that because the scrolling ball always get mucked up no matter how much I clean it. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Weird, I hear people complain about Apple peripherals, but I have had no problems with my wireless MM and keyboard at all, at least not any that you wouldn't have with any other kind of Bluetooth hardware.

The MM is an unusual mouse, so you'll either love it or hate it I suppose. Because the scroll ball moves in all directions, not just up and down like a scroll wheel does, it does tend to pick up more dirt, but just rub it upside down on a cleaning cloth with maybe a fine mist of cleaning solution on it and it should work fine again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OSX 10.6, 1TB Storage
I am currently a Mac virgin, however am currently and have been looking into it for a while.

Is there anything I should know before venturing into the world of Apple?

I'll be gentle..

Also you should know.. *thinks.* I have never looked back. Really I effing love my iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Couple of things. 1. Hardware - if you have a good keyboard and good wireless mouse, hang on to them and use them with the Mac - the Apple products are, to say the least, pretty bad. 2. Software - check out the programs you use most frequently to find out a) whether a Mac version is available and, if not, b) whether a viable alternative exists. For example, I've failed to find an html editor that matches Homesite - and I've tried them all - and replacing things like Photoshop with the Mac versions can get expensive. So I use VMFusion and have a virtual Windows machine on the iMac. Since discovered there's a free alternative, VirtualBox.

In general, though, go ahead - you'll enjoy the difference and the almost total lack of those kind of notices that say, 'Sorry we have close now, would you like to send a report to Msoft'

Thats not true. I love the apple keyboards and have always been a big fan. Especially the original iMac G3 keyboards. They were sweet. I love the chicklet keyboards that they have now too. I mean, I'm using my MacBook (unibody) and it has its keyboard built in, obviously, but I love it.

As for the mighty mouse... good idea... kind of... not a great mouse. I actually have difficulty using a mouse now that I've had this multi-touch trackpad for so long now, but I made sure that my fiancee has my old logitech mouse to use with her eMac. That was a must.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Hz 4GB RAM
Kind of mentioned earlier, but be ready to LEARN for a while. It isn't just that it is better/worse. It is that there are a million little things that are different. The more you learn, the faster you will learn and the more you start to just figure it out on your own, just like with anything. The first three months can be a lot more work, the next three less so, and after that, it is just great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicksilver- 1.4GHz sonnet upgrade, 1GB ram, 120GB HDD, Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb video card
Itll be the best move youve ever made

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.