• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple ranks lowest according to Greenpeace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I started a thread about this a while back when it first came out. It is valid, but some of their criteria have to do with potential environmental impacts-- meaning it includes some things that may or may not be bad for the environment, but further study is needed.

You'd think that Apple would have tried to get a better score after the time that has passed since the initial rating, particularly with Dell at the top, but it looks like they haven't.

Must do better

Apple has made no improvements in its policies and is now at the bottom of the ranking. While its competition continues to improve, the world leader in innovation and design is falling further and further behind.

We'd expect an innovative company who takes pride in 'thinking different' to be at the top of the ranking - so we've launched the Green my Apple campaign where Mac fans can send a clear message to Apple - we love our Mac, but we wish it came in green.

http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/news/electronics-companies

and here is there campaign website:

http://www.greenmyapple.com/

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
I think this is unacceptable. I mean, really? I feel like something must be wrong, maybe greenpeace has a different kind of measurement, and the other companies have adjusted to it. I read an article that was linked from these websites where Steve Jobs disagreed. I think that if the face of a company that bases everything on being different and idealistic can successfully say that greenpeace is bullshit has to say something. But on the other hand, if Dell and Sony can work around these measurements and still be successful why can't apple?

Bottom line, I need some figures. How did they actually measured everything and what apple lacks and what dell and sony have changed? I really don't like how if you follow all the links you still only get this stupid little pie charts ( that i think look like they were made by a 4 year old ) showing apple at 2.7 out of 10 while other companies score 6's and 7's. Where is the criterion/criteria for accessment? Not to mention the original article says that in order to pass a company must get a 7.0 out of 10, and only 3 or 4 companies actually passed. Maybe they should do an article on that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
To Branson, Missouri with those tree hugging hippies. If anyone takes themselves too serious its them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Greenpeace can kiss my shiny metal...computer case.

Wattage rating of my mini: max 110W, avg 50W (less than a lightbulb)
Wattage rating of the average PC: 500W (~convector oven)

Reaction score
To Branson, Missouri with those tree hugging hippies. If anyone takes themselves too serious its them.

I agree with you - I just read an article where 60% of earth scientists say all this hoop-de-doo about global warming is junk science. Unfortunately all the tree huggers get the publicity. It seems only their opinion matters.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook super
greenpeace can flip off

so can all the other similar animal groups

buncha liars and hypocrites

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

my last desktop pc was a sony vaio with a 1.5 G Pentium IV, 1M memory, 80G 5400 HD, and 256M video card (sold about a year and a half ago). it only had a 150W power supply. where are you getting these "average" numbers from?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
greenpeace can flip off

so can all the other similar animal groups
Let's not tar everyone with the same brush.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my last desktop pc was a sony vaio with a 1.5 G Pentium IV, 1M memory, 80G 5400 HD, and 256M video card (sold about a year and a half ago). it only had a 150W power supply. where are you getting these "average" numbers from?

Most PC's are between 350-550. You probably know this. You are a special case I believe.

Just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid

dell usually puts in a 375 watt power supply or less in it's desktop models. not sure what others use, but it would probably be around the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2

From the last batch of P4 PCs I've build and sold.

OP
jdgti
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The absolute bottom of the barrel Dell Laptop is 130 watt power supply, no core duo, small screen, pretty much nothing... 130 watt supply. The bottom of the barrel dell PC is 275 watt. Just to give you an idea.

And the top of the line laptop and desktop are ridiculous. Try 750 watt power supply for the dell xps 700. I don't even know if that is their highest end home pc. It was just the first one that came up wen I hit desktosp.

750??? Give me a break. Greenpeace should be all over them like stink on ... rice ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.