Get Rid os Software Update

Reaction score
All,

Software Update pops up ALL the time and is driving me nuts with updates that I dont need or want.

How to I disable this auto pop up and update when I want to?

Thanks.

Larryo

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Go to:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Software Update
- Adjust Settings there

Easy & done!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Thx, that was simple... just didn't know it was there.

You're welcome!:) One of those rarely used features.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
You're welcome!:) One of those rarely used features.

- Nick

Nick,

Well, it didn't work. It re checked itself and started up again. But this time instead of checking nothing, I checked "monthly", which I can live with.

However, if there's an option to disable it from ANY auto notification, I'd prefer that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, when you get a notification, there should be an option to not get that notification again. Once you've banished the most frequent offenders, you won't get many notices.

OP
S
Reaction score
All,
Still isn't working. would like to totally disable it. Checked monthly (least frequent choice).

Still shows up several times a day. Thoughts?

C

chas_m

Have you considered letting it install what it needs to install, and THEN seeing if it will go back to being monthly?

My experience with Software Update is that yes, in fact, you DO need those updates (for security if nothing else). Software Update notices come from Apple and those tend to be required (and customized for your machine).

OP
S
Reaction score
Have you considered letting it install what it needs to install, and THEN seeing if it will go back to being monthly?

My experience with Software Update is that yes, in fact, you DO need those updates (for security if nothing else). Software Update notices come from Apple and those tend to be required (and customized for your machine).

Chas,

Thx, I'll try that. However, I'd be surprise if any update is required, at least I hope not. I don't want Apple to determine what I want, security or not..... but.... who knows.

Larryo

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Chas,

Thx, I'll try that. However, I'd be surprise if any update is required, at least I hope not. I don't want Apple to determine what I want, security or not..... but.... who knows.

Larryo

Why? Because God forbid Apple would know anything about what kind of potential harm could come to the OS that they designed and help you avoid it?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Chas,

Larryo

Why? Because God forbid Apple would know anything about what kind of potential harm could come to the OS that they designed and help you avoid it?

Oh I'm sure Apple knows. You can see what you are installing and pick and choose. It's not like you are downloading and installing things blindly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chas,

Larryo

Not trying to hurt your feelings.... but you sound like a Windows user that has been burned with some bad MS updates. I don't know if that includes you but if it does, please take into account that Mac OS X isn't Windows.

I have to agree with chas_m on this. I install all Apple updates even if it's something I think is obscure. The choice is yours of course.

OP
S
Reaction score
Not trying to hurt your feelings.... but you sound like a Windows user that has been burned with some bad MS updates. I don't know if that includes you but if it does, please take into account that Mac OS X isn't Windows.

I have to agree with chas_m on this. I install all Apple updates even if it's something I think is obscure. The choice is yours of course.

Chscag,

Not close, not a Windows user. I'm a happy Mac guy since they started and have several Macs. I do have one Window tablet that's for a dedicated purpose and use VMFusion for my PC only software, which ain't much.

Just trying to keep the Mac running smooth, without interruptions.

I've also thought of upgrading to Lion to see if that helped with the Software Update, but horrible reviews for my Mac Book Pro...... will wait.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All,
Still isn't working. would like to totally disable it. Checked monthly (least frequent choice).

Still shows up several times a day. Thoughts?

Here is what you're supposed to do to disable "Software Update":

Disable automatic updates in Software Update

...basically "deselect" the box that says "Check for Updates" in the "Software Update" control panel (which I believe you mentioned you already did). If for some reason this box continues to be "selected" after you have "deselected" it...try running the maintenance program "Onyx":

Download OnyX for Mac

Part of what Onyx does is delete old preference files, temp files, cache files, etc. Sometimes duplicate versions of these files can exist or the existing files get corrupted in some way.

I had a recent issue where I wasn't able to turn off the bluetooth on my MacBook Pro...I ran Onyx...and everything was fine afterwards. If this doesn't help...I'm afraid I'm running short on ideas!;)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Here is what you're supposed to do to disable "Software Update":

Disable automatic updates in Software Update

...basically "deselect" the box that says "Check for Updates" in the "Software Update" control panel (which I believe you mentioned you already did). If for some reason this box continues to be "selected" after you have "deselected" it...try running the maintenance program "Onyx":

Download OnyX for Mac

Part of what Onyx does is delete old preference files, temp files, cache files, etc. Sometimes duplicate versions of these files can exist or the existing files get corrupted in some way.

I had a recent issue where I wasn't able to turn off the bluetooth on my MacBook Pro...I ran Onyx...and everything was fine afterwards. If this doesn't help...I'm afraid I'm running short on ideas!;)

- Nick

Nick,

Thx, where can I get more info about Onyx, I downloaded it, but info is a bit scarce and I'm concern that it could cause issues. Thanks.

Larryo

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Thx, where can I get more info about Onyx, I downloaded it, but info is a bit scarce and I'm concern that it could cause issues. Thanks.

Seems there's not a ton of detailed info regarding Onyx...even the developers website doesn't really have a ton of info:

Titanium's Software • Home

...but there is a forums section that may contain more info.

Basically lots & lots of folks have used Onyx without any troubles. Onyx comes with a bunch of preset boxes "checked"...and as long as you use Onyx with the default settings you should be just fine. Then when you understand more about Onyx...you can explore more of the "unchecked" features.

But the default settings are fine for most folks.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.