Adv. of Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi, i currently have a macbook core 2 duo, but i will soon need to be using graphic extensive programmes such as AutoCAD, Microstation, Photoshop and Illustrator. Will my macbook be able to cope, or will it be better to upgrade to a macbook pro with the best configuration options of the best graphics card avaibable, highest ram and quickest hard drive?

i have also heard that these programmes run much better on windows (microstation is windows only at the mo i believe) so i was thinking of installing bootcamp to run these programmes, and using mac os for my dad to day (email, internet itunes etc..) how well does boot camp run, will these programmes run well, or will it simply be better off buying a high powered windows based laptop? thank you very much, you guys could save me thousands!!

OP
C
Reaction score
and also if i should buy a macbook pro, should i wait until the end of septmeber, where i have heard some 'rumours' that apple should be releasing a new generation of macbooks! thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
If theres no rush I would say wait at this point. The current Macbook Pro is a great machine, I bought one about a month ago for college and I love it. But why not wait and see what apple comes out with next if its only a few months away!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
A macbook pro would suit you better for sure. If you need it now buy it now. The current machines are great and fully capable of anything you throw at it.

OP
C
Reaction score
i have the luxurury (i think) to wait until end of sept to see if they are goign to release a new model. my main quesiton is, would it be better jsut to buy a high powered windows laptop or will a highpowered macbook pro (with xp instantlled via boot camp), i.e. which one will perform better? macbooks are very sexy however..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2.26ghz MacBook 6,1 Late 2009 250GB HD 8GB ram, Mavericks, 30GB Ipod Video, 16GB Iphone 5 ;-)
I have a mac book 2.2 ghz I bought a few months ago and it works great. I use all the graphic softwares such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Premiere and have no problems. I can use both photoshop and illustrator at the same time and get no lag. I'm running this with only 2gb ram. I will be adding 4gb ram total soon. I'm sure I can run more programs then without no lag. So for me the 13" is perfect for traveling and also using it for home. Good luck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.4GHz
Photoshop is all processor-intensive. I am a professional photographer, and found no reason to purchase the MBP. I am able to haul through LightRoom and Photoshop at the same speed an Intel Duo Core 2 desktop would with a dedicated graphics card. As the previous poster said, I love the 13" size versus the 15" as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
hi thanks for the info, but what about autocad, vector works, microstation - all cad programs . How will it cope with those? I will be using these more than adobe. Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hello,

I read these posts with interest, and whilst I couldn't answer your questions fully, I would like to add my penny's worth.

1) Photoshop is also Ram intensive, the more photographs you have open at the same time, the more ram you will take up.

2) I have witnessed Windows running in Boot camp on a black Mac book and it seemed to fly, now, whether or not Boot camp fully utilizes the machines graphics capabilities whilst in Windows, I cannot say, but I have heard that people play WOW and other programs through boot camp on Windows and they run great. So I am assuming that windows on Boot camp should be fine for you.

3) I would Google for your programs and add ' on mac book' to see what comes up. If someone else is running those programs on a mac, whether in windows or OS X (I know you said one of them is native to Windows) I'm sure something will come up.

Do you have Leopard installed? Do you have a spare copy of Windows XP? if you do, why not install windows and try out the native app you mentioned, and if you can get free trials of the others for Mac, try them out.

Re Photoshop on a 13" screen, Mario, I think the Mac book 13" screen looks good, but for professional photography? How do your colours come out? and also, do you hook up to an external monitor for editing? I'd imagine that screen size driving me nuts when working on images.

Ps. I have the MacBook Pro, and love it. I wish I had a Macbook too so I could tell you straight which is better for your needs, but I'd imagine the bigger screen size would be handy when doing CAD work? Have you considered the 17" simply for portable screen size? I know it might be over kill, but mamma, your programs would sure fly! Ooh, especially on the HD model!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well from the looks of it NVidia has been having some serious issues with the 8600 GT M, which is in the Macbook Pro. Mine has been fine, but after hearing all this news, I would probably have waited for the next lineup of MBP's. I'm not to worried i have applecare, but its still a nuisance if the graphics card did fail.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the info. If i get the pro i will def get the 17" so i have a large enough screen to do my drawing, especailly since they are widescreen so you dont get a lot of vertical space; and as i already have a macbook i can use that as my portable laptop so to speak.

i dont have leopard i ahev the one before it which is tiger i think, but i believe i can get a bootcamp beta and i might try adn do that if i have enough HD space, im prety sure i have an illegal copy of XP somewhere!!

what is this problems with the graphics card? my main resason for upgrading was for the better graphics card as my macbook one is poor (64mb shared)! i will be waiting i think until the new set of MBP comes out, which is due sometime in sepmtebr right?

Whether i chose the glossy or the matte screen i dont know, i have to go to the store and check them out, but i know they saw glossy is better for colours i think i prefer the matte. Does anyone know how the macbook compares in terms of glossy or matte or inbetween?

cheers guys

OP
C
Reaction score
and if im going to blow all my money on the 17" i would def also get the HD version considering the graphics work, and as i am a student applecare for me is a must and is at a very reasonable cost! does anyone know exactly how much discount i would get (higher education - university, or as the americains say 'college'!) i heard it was about 8% - but that does sound a little bit too good?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well apparently quite a few people have experienced graphics card failures after so many heat cycles with the MBP's Nvidia 8600M GT. I have played a few games and its been fine but like I said mines fairly new so who knows. I doubt it will be a problem, it seems to only be a few cases, but none the less it would definitely be a factor if I was deciding to buy or wait for the next model.

Zach

OP
C
Reaction score
what is a heat cylce? i have heard problems that the MBP does overheat? what causes this, and does this apply to all situations?

im a little bit stuck as to which HD to get. I want to get the fastest one - 7200rpm, but that comes with the smaller HD of 200gig, the next option would be 250gig at 5200rpm. however i feel the faster speed is more worthwhile, espcially needing a quick machine in total! how much effect does this actaully have? i remeber when 40gig used to be enough! i;m not goign to be using this laptop for my music and video so that will save a lot of space!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
what is a heat cylce? i have heard problems that the MBP does overheat? what causes this, and does this apply to all situations?

im a little bit stuck as to which HD to get. I want to get the fastest one - 7200rpm, but that comes with the smaller HD of 200gig, the next option would be 250gig at 5200rpm. however i feel the faster speed is more worthwhile, espcially needing a quick machine in total! how much effect does this actaully have? i remeber when 40gig used to be enough! i;m not goign to be using this laptop for my music and video so that will save a lot of space!

Just so you know 7200 doesn't always means that the drive is faster. I would do some research over at Tomshardware to see which is best for you.

Samsung is the only one so far that has a 500GB HDD that will fit in a notebook.

If you want something fast in the 320GB range look at the
Momentus 7200.3 Laptop Hard Drives by Seagate Model # ST9320421AS

Western Digital Scorpio Black WD3200BEKT 320GB 7200 RPM has pretty good reviews at newegg.

The seagate model is new and newegg is taking forever to update their products list. >_<" Grrrr!!

Hope that helps somewhat.

OP
C
Reaction score
im not looking to change the compooments of the laptop ( i use to do that, but prefer not to these days), however out of curisoty do you know what make the HD is, inside the current MBP? And generalyl in regard the HD in the current MBP does the 7,200rpm make a difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The one in mine is a Hitachi, I'd be willing to bet that the reality is like most.. that is you'll find drives by various tier one manufacturers depending on when the machine was built. 7200rpm makes a difference if you're performing a lot of read/write intensive processes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
My Penny's worth again,

Re: screen, go for Matte. I have seen arguments blaze on the net over glossy and matte, and 95% of the time the person asking the question goes for matte and loves it, and people with glossy end up saying 'Yeah, it's a pain in the rump when you get reflections'. Nuff said.

Get a 7200 drive. I have an 80Gb drive in my first gen Macbook and it has never reached full. I do a lot of video work too, but then again I do have a big (as in physical size) 320Gb drive I use for Backup and reference, and then a little teeny weeny (small) 80Gb USB powered Lacie drive I use for out and about work.

If ti were my decision, I would get the 7200rpm 200Gb drive, and as Dysfunction says, you most likely won't see the difference, but you might be one of those people who just like to know their machine has the best in all areas and then they're covered. 50Gb is give or take in terms of storage space so it's up to you on that one.

RE the heat issue. Again, like the matte or glossy debate, this one seems to be specific to individuals, but over all, yes, the apple laptops run hot.

There are two factual reasons and one variable reason for this... 1) The thermal paste used to marry the CPU to the cooler is usually caked on instead of being smeared on, and this is reported to have caused the heat found in the Apple laptops. 2) The CPU's run hotter than single core processors and also the Macbook pro cases are used as a way of distributing heat (either by accident or by choice).

3) The situation in which the laptops are used will also increase the heat. Rested on a Duvet, they can't breathe and so heat up quickly. Used in a poor ventilated room is the same and running an intense program continuously will warm any laptop up quickly.

Mel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Strictly speaking, I don't think any of those programs actually use the video card, so the MacBook Pro won't give you a PHENOMENAL performance improvement over the MacBook. On that note, it will give you some performance improvement, but I would wait for the next MacBook Pro revision, probably due out by early 4th quarter (it's how Apple operates generally speaking; I don't actually have insider information). I normally don't advise this, but with the recent troubles leaked about all the GeForce 8400s and 8600s, I'd wait so you at least get a video card in your computer that you know won't crap out on you.

OP
C
Reaction score
oh really, do they use more of the cpu then? i dont think i want to spend an dextra 150£ for an extra 150MHz i dont think it is worth it - unless i need CPU (but it is nice to know you have a fast computer). as for the heat im not too bothered just was wondering whether it would realyl eb hot , i have been using a laptop for 5years adntheyre heat up i jsut thought that these MBP may heat excevvily hot. if i change the HD inside for another one, is there a speed i can get quicker than 7200rpm with decent size i.e around 150-250gb mark? will i be able to put in more ram than what apple can , i.e more than 4gb? and the bottom line really is, will this machine (at full spec form apple) running XP in bootcamp, outperform a full spec windows based laptop (acer/ibm/dell) at a similiar price range

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.