Drag and drop

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

I´m a new boy (albeit a quite old one) in class and struggling to learn how to use my brand new MacBook Pro. I can do the most basic things, but the transition from a mouse to a touch-pad is a little heavy. And the so-called help function is of no help at all!

What I would like to know is how you drag and drop on the touch-pad.

Please use simple words, as I´m as far from a computer wizard as it is humanely possible to be.

Åmund

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP MC118B/A, iPhone 3GS 16gb
click the trackpad in and hold then you can move with another finger.....thats what i do anyway :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
In System Preferences => Trackpad, there is a feature called "Drag lock".

With this enabled, simply tap on the item you want to drag and immediately tap and hold your finger to drag it. When you're ready to drop, remove your finger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
In System Preferences => Trackpad, there is a feature called "Drag lock".

With this enabled, simply tap on the item you want to drag and immediately tap and hold your finger to drag it. When you're ready to drop, remove your finger.

That sounds a tad confusing IMO. I taught my wife how to do this the other night with dragging stuff from downloads to an external HD. Technically, after you've dragged the item, you have to tap again to release it. So, it's more like:

With one finger, double tap an item and hold on the second tap rather than letting go. If you let go, you'll simply go into the folder. After the second tap and hold you are now free to drag the item anywhere. You're even free to let go, and nothing will happen. Only when you tap again, will that item be released.

Use this same method for several types of actions within the OS, such as highlighting words. Double tap and drag to highlight. Tap again when you've reached the point of where you want to stop highlighting.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.