Decide on iMac

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have been a PC user for awhile now but was and am always impressed with Apple.(Have an iPhone for ie and an old eMac I got sometime ago to familiar myself with Macs, but don't use it bc not update-able) In other words, I always wanted to get a Mac but for some reason I always found myself getting another PC whenever it came time to getting another computer. Money wasn't really the issue. It was probably more of the fact that PC's are "more out there" or something I guess and because of that, that was more of an option. But now, I want to make a more deliberate decision on my next computer and I was hoping maybe you can give me some advice based on a few scenarios.

Well, first, my current computer(desktop) I just built in/around Feb2011. It's very great in performance, stable, etc. I have no complaints really other than it's pretty loud because of having the many case fans to keep it cool. Because of that though, the case tends to collect dust and that too can be an annoyance. Because of the fact this computer is basically new and runs great, I tell myself maybe I shouldn't get a Mac then or any other computer for that matter but in truth, the noise/dust and space it takes alone is kind of making me still want to get another computer(mac) regardless of this computer being fairly new and great.

Second, if I do need another new computer, if anything, it's a laptop because my current laptop(pc) is pretty old. So in a way, it would make sense for me to get a new laptop(mac), not desktop. But here's the thing, I find myself on my desktop way more than laptop. It's where I do everything. So because of that, I think it would make sense to get a desktop then since I will be using that more.

Third, I was thinking of an iMac, but I really can't decide if I want to spend almost 2 grand for the 27 inch one when in specs, the 21 and 27 are almost the same. Really the only difference is the monitor size. What would you aim for in your opinion? I was checking out some videos on youtube for the iMac and one user commented something like "Just paid 2000 for my 27 inch iMac.. worth a **** penny!" lol

Here's something else that is kind of discouraging me now.. I just read, thanks to this forums, that the new iMac doesn't have DVD slot and that we have to get a external. Hmm for 2000, you'd think there would be a DVD drive somewhere on it. At first I thought that but learned from these forums they took it out to help make it more thinner.

All in all, basically looking for some advice based on the above. Thank you for all who take the time to read and respond.
Thanks!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You could just get a noise reduction case for your current rig. Save yourself quite a bit of money and maybe use that money to pimp out your current rig instead of buying a whole new computer. You could use that 2k to get quite a bit of things.

If you are worried about dust and what not then maybe try water cooling? No fans and super quiet. ^-^

Then you can use the rest on maybe some SSDs, external HDD for backup/storage, and maybe some really nice graphic cards for sLi or Crossfire?

If that doesn't work you could just use that money to fund the iMac or maybe a tablet since you don't do a lot of computing on your notebook like you said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.4GHz, 32GB RAM, Cintiq 21ux, Pegasus R4, iPads, iPhones and iPods
An external CD/DVD drive is cheap....not sure what you meant about "2000."

I am no expert on hardware, but I just ordered my third iMac and I will never go back to a PC if not just for the Mac OS.

Performance-wise the 27 in will give you a little more but yeah its basically screen size. If you are not running intensive apps such as Adobe and other production type software the base model will be plenty powerful and relevant for years.

Even with a few pitfalls, I would still pay the top dollar price that I do every time....now is the time to buy an iMac while its the newest release....have fun!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses.

Kwdelre, "2000", I was referring to the price of the 27inch iMac. Which one did you just ordered?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahhh I see now. Yeah I am a little ticked at them trying to control what hardware standards are now. The iMac is already thin enough. You dont save any space by making the sides 5mm thick. Whooptie freakin doo Apple.....leave the hardware instead.

Anyway, I ordered the 27" maxed out with the exception of the harddrive cause I use a RAID already. Spent a good deal of money on it, but performance is what I need. My neighbor bought pretty much the same one and all he uses it for is photos, music and quickbooks.....hahaha, don't be that guy....the base models are powerful as heck already, but if you upgrade anything I would look at the RAM or processor. He wasted about a grand....

OP
R
Reaction score
kwdelre,

When you say base, you mean the 27inch base for $1,799.99 or the 21 inch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, which would you rather have; more power or more screen?

(this is for comparable costs)
If you want power, I would go with the 21" with the 3.1GHz i7 option, bringing you to about 1699
If you want more screen, I would go with the 27", bringing you to about1799; the i5 will be fast as it is for normal computing. (I would guess that you don't need a hog based on your questions, so you are more than likely in the normal computing range)

I will say this, my 27" is much better to use than my wife's 21", haha.

Just remember, even the base models are friggin powerful machines.

Here's a good question.....what is your budget???

OP
R
Reaction score
My budget is 1500-2000.

I will be doing a lot of programming(web development primarily, some C++) and image manipulation which will require me to have programs from Adobe for example, CorelDraw, text editors, etc. Also will be having many web browsers as well which requires me to have a lot of windows open at the same time most of the time. All this along with regular computer use.

At the moment my current screen size is 23 inch led. In truth, it wouldn't make sense for me to downgrade to a 21 inch display. So because of this fact alone, I am leaning toward the 27 inch iMac models.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah the base model 27" will be plenty for what you mentioned. If you were doing some heavy video production/3D modeling/animation I would say upgrade the processor, but it sounds like the base 27" would work perfectly fine for you. With tax you will be right at the top of your budget.

OP
R
Reaction score
Yeah, basically what I was leaning toward. For first time buyer, do you suggest going to an apple store to purchase or order from apple.com?

If ordering from apple.com, does it come in the iMac box or in another box when delivered? if I am not home, I wouldn't want the mail man to leave it outside my house somewhere where someone can get themselves a free iMac. lol

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'll add my 2 cents here....

Third, I was thinking of an iMac, but I really can't decide if I want to spend almost 2 grand for the 27 inch one when in specs, the 21 and 27 are almost the same. Really the only difference is the monitor size.

After seeing the take apart and reading up on the 21.5" model iMac I can not in all honestly ever recommend that particular machine. I don't know why Apple did what they did but then they don't ask my or anyone else's opinion when putting forth new models.

1. Almost impossible to upgrade memory. The entire logic board has to be removed first.

2. Instead of the more heavy duty 3.5" hard drive they went with a notebook style drive instead. (2.5") That might sound better but it's actually not because 3.5" drives outlast 2.5" ones.

3. They completely re-did the cooling system. The machine now has one large fan and director instead of three. Remains to be seen if that's good or not.

4. Removed Firewire. (no big deal because the machine has four USB 3 ports)

5. Removed optical drive. Again no big deal as most software is now being sold digitally including the operating system. And large flash drives are better anyway.

6. SD slot is now on the back of the machine. A pain to get at.

Like the Retina MacBook Pro machines, this is a machine that is not meant to be user upgradeable. And anyone who buys one without also buying the extended Apple care is in my opinion, "rolling the dice".

Just my bit of ranting..... :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

After seeing the take apart and reading up on the 21.5" model iMac I can not in all honestly ever recommend that particular machine. I don't know why Apple did what they did but then they don't ask my or anyone else's opinion when putting forth new models.

1. Almost impossible to upgrade memory. The entire logic board has to be removed first.

2. Instead of the more heavy duty 3.5" hard drive they went with a notebook style drive instead. (2.5") That might sound better but it's actually not because 3.5" drives outlast 2.5" ones.

3. They completely re-did the cooling system. The machine now has one large fan and director instead of three. Remains to be seen if that's good or not.

5. Removed optical drive. Again no big deal as most software is now being sold digitally including the operating system. And large flash drives are better anyway.

Like the Retina MacBook Pro machines, this is a machine that is not meant to be user upgradeable. And anyone who buys one without also buying the extended Apple care is in my opinion, "rolling the dice".

Totally agree. I'm starting to reconsider my 27" iMac purchase. >_>" I canceled my original order of 8GB and went for the 16GB. I don't feel like having to use double sided sticky tape and a heat gun if I ever did want to add more ram, or add another internal disk to it.:Lips-Are-Sealed:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Definitely some good points there. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.