Getting internet (probably wifi) on my Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an older (2009) Mac Pro and I am having problems getting it online. There is wifi in my house and what I have been doing is using the 'Internet Sharing' option on my Macbook laptop to share the wifi connection with my Mac Pro via an ethernet cable between my laptop and desktop. However, my laptop recently had a bit of a freakout and I had to restart it and when it came back on, I had to reconnect it to the wifi, but when i did that, the internet sharing mysteriously stopped working between my laptop and desktop. I was just wondering if there was a way to use my extra router to pick up the wifi signal being broadcast by the house's router and connect an ethernet cable from my desktop to the router so I can stop relying on my laptop to get internet.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How come you don't just connect each computer individually to your WiFi network?

Does your Mac Pro not have built-in WiFi? If your Mac Pro doesn't have built-in WiFi...maybe installing it would be a good thing.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You shoo;d be able to do that. We can be more specific with directions if we know the model. You'll probably need to set it to join an existing network and enter the name, configuration details, and password for your network.

One thing to be aware of though. Some routers, some Time Capsules for example, will not work in this mode. When they join an existing network wirelessly the ethernet ports shut down.

OP
D
Reaction score
How come you don't just connect each computer individually to your WiFi network?

Does your Mac Pro not have built-in WiFi? If your Mac Pro doesn't have built-in WiFi...maybe installing it would be a good thing.:)

- Nick

my mac pro does not have built in wifi. Is it easy to install an airport or something on a mac pro?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my mac pro does not have built in wifi. Is it easy to install an airport or something on a mac pro?

Yes...pretty easy. Especially since it's very easy to access the innards of the older style Mac Pro's. :)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I'm not sure how easily you'll find an Airport adapter kit for that model, but you can use the PCI slots to install a modern third-party Wi-Fi card easily enough -- make sure before you buy that it is Mac/OS X compatible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure how easily you'll find an Airport adapter kit for that model, but you can use the PCI slots to install a modern third-party Wi-Fi card easily enough -- make sure before you buy that it is Mac/OS X compatible.

Usually original WiFi cards for Mac Pro's are available on eBay or sites like Powerbookmedic.com (just checked). But if there are dependable/reliable PCI WiFi cards for Mac Pro's...that would certainly work too.:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm going to let on to my lacking computer savviness here and ask what's the difference between an original wifi card for a macpro and a PCI wifi card? Pros/Cons? Rough cost?

Just to be clear, I do have a second router in my home and I am still wondering if it has the capability to pick up the wifi coming from the first router. Then I could just connect my desktop to the 2nd router with ethernet and be good to go, right? Do most routers have this capability and is it easy to setup? What info regarding my computer and router would you need to help me figure it out?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, so I'm going to let on to my lacking computer savviness here and ask what's the difference between an original wifi card for a macpro and a PCI wifi card? Pros/Cons? Rough cost?

Here's the Apple WiFi card:

Mac Pro AirPort Card

I'll let chas_m provide info on the PCI WiFi card. I've never messed with them.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

The video is for a 2008 Mac Pro (yours is a 2009). The 2009 does have some significant design differences (the cpu's and ram are on a removable tray)...so a 2009 will look a bit different inside. But I do not believe that the install is any more difficult.

If you can find an install video for a 2009 Mac Pro on You Tube...then you're good to go.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You never gave us the Brand and Model of the other router. Some will work as a Wireless Bridge and some will not.

Can we have the brand and model of the router?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, for an alternate, take a look @ the iFixit Guides for your model laptop - good luck! Dave :)

It's a Mac Pro desktop. iFixit has no repair/install guide for a WiFi card for a Mac Pro (ifixit has very little for Mac Pro's)..

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
It's a Mac Pro desktop. iFixit has no repair/install guide for a WiFi card for a Mac Pro (ifixit has very little for Mac Pro's)..

Hi Nick - please check this Link before you put a foot in your mouth - the 'i' does not apply just to our little iDevices - the site is much more versatile - :) Dave

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick - please check this Link before you put a foot in your mouth - the 'i' does not apply just to our little iDevices - the site is much more versatile - :) Dave

Dave. I'm not sure if I should be offended or not for the "foot in the mouth comment". :Confused:

I am also very very very very familiar with the iFixit.com website. I've been using it for years & years…and have been recommending it to Mac-Forum members for years & years as assistance in their repair needs.

But I think that you missed the point in my earlier post. The OP has a "Mac Pro" [size=+1]desktop[/size] computer…you keep providing information for a "MacBook Pro" [size=+1]laptop[/size] computer.

You might want to revisit who the "foot in the mouth comment" applies to.;)

- Nick

p.s. And my comment about iFixit and Mac Pro's (the desktop computer) still applies. iFixit.com does not have a whole lot of info for Mac Pro computers. There is a lot at iFixit for iMac's, Mac-Mini's, MacBook's, and MacBook Pro's…and older Apple computers such as iBooks, Powerbook's, Powermac's, etc. But not much for Mac Pro desktop computers.

p.p.s. We all make mistakes from time to time. There was no need for the "foot in the mouth" or the iFxit.com comments.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Dave. I'm not sure if I should be offended or not for the "foot in the mouth comment". :Confused:

I am also very very very very familiar with the iFixit.com website. I've been using it for years & years…and have been recommending it to Mac-Forum members for years & years as assistance in their repair needs......

Hi again Nick - AND OH MY! Just a 'tongue in cheek' expression (one of the only forums that I frequent that seems to be a buddy type) - SO, I sincerely apologize for my obvious ignorance in my previous post - I'm the one w/ at least one if not two feet in my mouth.

I obviously did not pay as much attention to the OPs first posts, i.e. assuming that the issue was w/ a laptop - my complete misunderstanding. In the future, I shall be more careful in reading the details - seems to an easy mistake.

Please accept my sincere apologies - I shall not respond to this thread in the future and will be careful about my future posts so not to lessen the immense value of this forum.

Thanks for all of your help and the other mods - this has been a valuable forum for me and I don't want to be considered a less than useful member. Dave :)

openmouthinsertfoot.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problems Dave.:) Stuff happens!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
:Cool:Love the pic Dave. BTW Don't feel bad I can tell you from experience that some of us have room for both feet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.