How do you make a desktop shortcut for a file or folder?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just need to take a file from a folder and have a shortcut to it on the desktop. I tried to move it to the desktop, but it moves the entire thing. I just need a shortcut. Any ideas?

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to opening up the finder? I recall there was some way to set a default key command for certain programs to open. In fact, I think they're still at default, but it was a combinatino key so I'm not usre what they are.

Thanks!

--Sean

Reaction score
Personally I haven't figured this out either, my solution was to drag the item to the left nav bar under "places" and it makes a shortcut there... just a temporary suggestion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 512 1.2 20" cinema
Hey guys,

Just need to take a file from a folder and have a shortcut to it on the desktop. I tried to move it to the desktop, but it moves the entire thing. I just need a shortcut. Any ideas?

Right click on item. Select "Make Alias". Drag alias to desktop.

Can't help you with the second part of your question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hold option key while dragging to copy to desktop, or create alias by right clicking.
Command N to open finder window, but you have to be in finder menu, as if you're in browser menu, it will open a new browser window.
Command O will give you a full screen finder window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You can click Alt Tab to go to finder menu and then Command N which will open the window.
I find it easier just to go to finder in dock though :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork ‘09
You can also hold the Option and Command keys while dragging a file to the desktop to create an alias.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Good advice remltr and nabl.

OP
V
Reaction score
Darkestritual, nabl, 6string, remltr, lp81: All of you thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate.

--Sean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.