External Sound System Advice.

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a very musically orientated person that is looking to make the best out of my music. I'm looking for advice on any kind of external hardware I can pick up for a reasonable price (£100-200) that I can rig up a decent set of speakers etc too. This will be for simply listening to music, not recording or anything like that.

I'm running on a Macbook pro right now with a fairly old set of 2.1 Creative speakers + sub which is ok, but I'm looking for something with better sound quality and more customization potential. Upgrading to 5.1/7.1 is a bonus if that possible on something external?

I know very little of sound systems etc, so any advice on what I could do is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I see you are talking pounds

I would steer clear of computer speakers - they are seldom of any real quality

I would take a trip to a store like Richer Sounds, let them advise you but you should easily be able to pick up a compact amp, some decent speaker wire and a set of quality compact speakers for that money

My home mac is hooked up to a (rather bulky) Cambridge Audio amp, and a set of Pioneer compact speakers. I have had this set up for years, the sound quality is good, but ask the staff at RS, they should be able to help you out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm a very musically orientated person that is looking to make the best out of my music.... I know very little of sound systems etc, so any advice on what I could do is greatly appreciated.

Music is my abiding passion and I want quality sound from my computer. At home I have my eMac connected by line out from the headphone jack to an Aiwa amplifier (rescued from a rubbish cage) to Technics speakers. The sound is good. It could be made better with bigger equipment but it's a very small, cluttered room. I can enjoy really good-sounding music ranging from classical to choral to pop to rock to jazz - you name it.

I recommend JVC speakers as being top quality at a reasonable price. The amplifier? Pioneer or Technics.

For what you're looking to spend, shop around the online auctions, people are forever 'upgrading' their sound systems to get the 'latest' and excellent quality bargains can be bought. [Just avoid buying anything that's been used by tertiary students :Grimmace: ]

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the swift replys :) I will head into town at the weekend and inquire at a store and see what they suggest, at least I have a rough idea of what to be looking for now.

Many thanks :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.