battery or logicboard?

Reaction score
Short version of what im asking: is it possible for the logic board to malfunction due to a violent shock or could it be the battery due to a violent shock?

Story: my iPhone 3gs fell off the back of a car at about 35-40 miles an hour on the freeway, possibly struck by a car, had a rubber case on it, none-the-less, the lcd and digitizer were broken and a few scratches once the case fell off. So i took it all apart. The inside didn't look damaged at all. So i went and got myself a new screen and digitizer. But what i should of checked first was that if i connect the phone to the computer that the computer would see it to let me know that it worked. The phone has been sitting for about a month so i put it on the charger and when i plugged in the screen and digitizer nothing would happen. I took the protective covers off of the logic board to see if there were any loose parts or anything was touching the metal and couldn't find anything that could be shorting it out. Have any suggestions? If its the battery i would be more than happy to replace that for only 15 bucks, but the logic board costs around 350.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
When you plug it into the computer does iTunes recognize it? If so try restoring with iTunes and see if that works, Sometimes if you take apart the iPhone display assembly,It requires a restore for the Display to work again.

If that doesn't work it most likely the logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Nope itunes or computer doesnt recognize it

Your best bet would be to throw it on ebay, You can still probably get a $100 for it broken. It's not worth putting all that time and money into trouble shooting.Most likely the board is shot (Also happens to be the most expensive part)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Story: my iPhone 3gs fell off the back of a car at about 35-40 miles an hour on the freeway, possibly struck by a car, had a rubber case on it, none-the-less, the lcd and digitizer were broken and a few scratches once the case fell off.

To be honest...I think you need to get real here! Your iPhone fell off your car at 35-40 mph, it may have been struck by another car, and everything you've tried so far has not worked.

How damaged would you be if you fell off a car doing 35-40mph?

What do you think the chances are that this is an easy/cheap fix??? You said that you purchased a replacement screen & digitizer (no luck), and when syncing with your computer nothing works.

If the battery costs $15 bucks...sure, give a new one a try & see if it works...it's only $15 more bucks. But $350 for a logic board is not a very wise investment...on top of what you've already spent on the screen, digitizer, and possibly a new battery.

Your best bet is purchase a new iPhone, transfer your AT&T contract to the new phone, and chalk up the rest to experience.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.