A question on warranty and possible replacement

Reaction score
So I bought an iPod Touch 32GB back in July at a discounted price with my MacBook. Since day 1, the head phone jack was a little buggy. Depending on the position of my headphones within the jack, the sound would be scratchy and far lower quality, so I always had to make sure the headphone were in a distinct position. This never really bothered me though, until yesterday, when suddenly the entire jack was messed up. No matter what headphones I use, nor what position they are in, all I get are scratchy sounds and distorted music.

Understand that I've taken pretty good care of this iPod and it has worked without any real problems for the past 8 months. It's in an inCase slider case, has a screen protector, never been dropped, etc.

With all that said, I have a few questions:

1.) What could explain the headphone jack problem? Both its initial bugginess and its now complete inability to function?

2.) I have an appt at the Genius Bar tomorrow. My iPod is still warranty. Is it likely that they will be able to fix the jack? Or straight up replace it?

3.) If it is replaced, would I receive the credit in store or get a new iPod Touch? The only reason I ask is because they now have newer versions of the Touch that are slimmer and have built in speakers, etc. Ususally whenever Apple puts out a new product, they try very hard to get rid of older iterations of the product (i.e. last summer's macbook ipod deal, which was followed in the fall by newly designed iPods and macbooks). So, would I get the new iPod Touch? Or credit in the store? Or, assuming they still had older Touches, get the same Touch? Honestly, I paid $500 for the first one, and the newer ones of the same memory amount cost $100 less. If they do replace it, I am really hoping they give me the newer one. I'm also totally fine with just getting store credit and buying either a classic or a touch.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
We can not say if they will replace it or repair it since we are not the Apple Store.

Just explain the problem to them and bring a pair of headphones so they can hear it.

If they do replace it they will most likely give you a refurbished one from the back. It is rare if they do give you a brand new model but it has happened before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
They will first attempt to fix it, if the cannot, then they will replace it with a model of the same buffer and generation.
I've never bought an iPod directly from an Apple Store, so store credit is possible.

Reaction score
iPod Nano problems

We are having iPod Nano problems, it randomly locks up or disconnects from iTunes. Bought it in December from Mejier. How do I get it fixed or replaced?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to own
If you have a warranty plan, simply take it to your nearest Mejier and they should take care of the rest.

Mejier... Isn't that only in the Michiana area?

If so, howdy neighbor!

Reaction score
If you have a warranty plan, simply take it to your nearest Mejier and they should take care of the rest.

Mejier... Isn't that only in the Michiana area?

If so, howdy neighbor!

No, we are in the Kentuckiana area, on the sunny side of Louisville ;)

howdy anyway fellow Hoosier!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.