mac does'nt see my HDD

Reaction score
hi, i have a new macbook pro running mavericks, am trying to move my data from my seagate 1.5TB HDD to mac, when connected to mac i dont see the HDD on finder or disk utility or under usb in system info, so i checked my usb ports by connecting flash drive they are working fine, i tried running my mac in safe mode, still mac does'nt see my HDD format fat32. my HDD is working with my PC but not mac. please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
hi, i have a new macbook pro running mavericks, am trying to move my data from my seagate 1.5TB HDD to mac, when connected to mac i dont see the HDD on finder or disk utility or under usb in system info, so i checked my usb ports by connecting flash drive they are working fine, i tried running my mac in safe mode, still mac does'nt see my HDD format fat32. my HDD is working with my PC but not mac. please help

Try a different USB cable.

OP
S
Reaction score
The same USB cable is working fine with my PC, am able to transfer my data from PC to HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
Have you tried leaving it plugged in and rebooting your MAC to see if it will recognize it?

OP
S
Reaction score
yes i did reboot, i did tried in safe mode as well, but no luck at all. i can see the light on my HDD and hear the sound that the disk is running, when connected. am sure the external drive is absolutely fine, cause am able to use it on my PC now. The external disk is checked under general, preferences. the closest apple store is 150 miles from here. please help me fix this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone 5S, iPad Mini Retina
Do you have your own Network? In other words if you have your pc turned on can your MAC see your PC? IF so then can you attach the drive to your PC and then allow the MAC to access it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The same USB cable is working fine with my PC, am able to transfer my data from PC to HDD.

Try a new one anyway. It may well not be the cable, but you'd be dumbfounded over how often it actually is the cable, even when working on another computer.

In the meanwhile, has this drive ever been properly usable as it is formatted now on this Mac? If so, have you done anything since last used, like update the OS? What version of OS X are you using?

OP
S
Reaction score
right now i have the PC and mac in front of me, am able to use the HDD on my PC with out a problem, and this is a one day old mac running on os 10.9.4, this is the first time am connecting this HDD to my mac and my mac does'nt recognise the HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Which "Seagate 1.5TB HDD" model do you have and does it use USB 2.0 or 3.0 ports and cables, as if that should matter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right now i have the PC and mac in front of me, am able to use the HDD on my PC with out a problem, and this is a one day old mac running on os 10.9.4, this is the first time am connecting this HDD to my mac and my mac does'nt recognise the HDD.

Run Disk Utility. Does the drive show there? If so, can you post a screen cap of what it shows with that drive selected.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, try a new cable. The last guy we told to do that lied about doing so; wasted 2 days of our time before actually trying a new cable; then lo and behold... it was working.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@sreeram is this one of those drives that draws power through the USB cable without a separate electrical cord? Some of those do not play well with certain Mac models. They will either not mount at all or be very temperamental.

OP
S
Reaction score
seagate 1.5TB portable HDD, draws power through the USB 3.0. i borrowed another seagate 1TB portable HDD, which also draws power through USB 3.0, from a friend and that works fine with my MAC, so i exchanged the cable still my HDD does'nt work with my MBP. it wouldnt show up any where on MBP, even though the light goes on and i can hear the disk running noise. should i just give up on my HDD or is there any way i could actually get this working with my MBP.
To clarify more i have even reset my MAC to factory settings using internet recovery. My HDD works with every other device(my PC and friends mac) except my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you provide a screencap as requested earlier? Also, which exact Mac model/year is this? I know you said new, but a lot of people buy a used or refurbished one and tell us it's new when it's really "new to them". Also, what version of OS X are you running? And are you certain it's formatted with FAT32 and not NTFS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
seagate 1.5TB portable HDD, draws power through the USB 3.0. i borrowed another seagate 1TB portable HDD, which also draws power through USB 3.0, from a friend and that works fine with my MAC, so i exchanged the cable still my HDD does'nt work with my MBP. it wouldnt show up any where on MBP, even though the light goes on and i can hear the disk running noise. should i just give up on my HDD or is there any way i could actually get this working with my MBP.
To clarify more i have even reset my MAC to factory settings using internet recovery. My HDD works with every other device(my PC and friends mac) except my MBP.

It's really sounding like somethings goofy with the MBPro and its USB port. But it's odd that it's light is on and you can hear it spinning.

At least the drive itself and it's data will obviously be intact, just not accessible with your MBPro. ;P

Unfortunately the 'net is full of Mac posts and discussions about external drives not mounting, and especially even with the latest Mavericks versions.

Do you have another Mac to try and see if it mounts or did you try your seagate 1.5TB portable HDD on your friend's computer you borrowed their seagate 1.5TB portable HDD from?

Using a different external enclosure to put the Seagate HDD in would be interesting to see if it would then mount and work properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you provide a screencap as requested earlier? Also, which exact Mac model/year is this? I know you said new, but a lot of people buy a used or refurbished one and tell us it's new when it's really "new to them". Also, what version of OS X are you running? And are you certain it's formatted with FAT32 and not NTFS?

It's nice to know all the details, but all Macs and all OS X versions should have the ability to at least read NTFS and FAT formatted USB drives shouldn't they??

But why do I read of so many having trouble getting their USB drives to mount regardless of proper format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have found as a rule of thumb laptops have insufficient USB power to run hard external drives from the port. Have used mains powered no problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's nice to know all the details, but all Macs and all OS X versions should have the ability to at least read NTFS and FAT formatted USB drives shouldn't they??

But why do I read of so many having trouble getting their USB drives to mount regardless of proper format?

Normally they do mount, which is why we need more details. I have some ideas, but I'm not going to keep begging you to help us help you.

BTW, we need to know exactly what external drive you have also, including what enclosure if bought separately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Normally they do mount, which is why we need more details. I have some ideas, but I'm not going to keep begging you to help us help you.

BTW, we need to know exactly what external drive you have also, including what enclosure if bought separately.

Hey, BTW, it's not my problem and I'm not the OP that has the problem.

And I don't have any problems mounting any connected external drive - thankfully!! ;)

Maybe because I'm running an older mid-late 2011 27" iMac helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey, BTW, it's not my problem and I'm not the OP that has the problem.

Oops. :Oops:

And I don't have any problems mounting any connected external drive - thankfully!! ;)

Maybe because I'm running an older mid-late 2011 27" iMac helps.

Not really. Though I will take this moment to express my envy over your 27" screen. /sigh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have found as a rule of thumb laptops have insufficient USB power to run hard external drives from the port. Have used mains powered no problem.

I've found that that problem usually only happened with some older Apple portables where USB Y-connectors were sometime required, mainly because Apple didn't follow the USB standards and didn't supply adequate voltage to some USB ports.

But in this case, the OP's using a MBPro with USB 3.0 that supplies darn near double the voltage that a standard USB 2.0 port would provide.

Besides the non-mounting drive has its power lights on and the disks are spinning.

Or has Apple messed up the USB 3.0 standards and done things their way again??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.