Where can I find a simple free image editor?

Reaction score
I have just borrowed a freinds mac whilst my laptop is getting fixed and I need some help. I am looking for a free image editor for doing simple things like resizing cropping and format conversion(eg gif to jpeg etc)

I am using a PowerBook G4 running MAC OS version 10.3.9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
iPhoto can resize and file type conversions easily enough. To do that you just click the photo(s) you want to change, go file > Export and then set up what you need!

If you dont want to use iPhoto, i recommend you take a look at http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

Its based upon Gimp (Photo editing software) but with some of the more advanced features removed. Perfect for those looking to do simple jobs :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks mate, seashore is working like a charm for what I need it for :)

Much appreciated.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed, good tip there TS! Looks great and for free too!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Glad i could help out frazmacaz!

dtravis7 - Yeh found it the other day, thought it was a good alternative to the often recommended GIMP software when people just want to get some of the simple jobs done :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.6Ghz | 200GB 7200 | 4GB Ram | 32GB iPod Touch 2G
sorry wrong thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
iPhoto can resize and file type conversions easily enough. To do that you just click the photo(s) you want to change, go file > Export and then set up what you need!

If you dont want to use iPhoto, i recommend you take a look at http://seashore.sourceforge.net/

Its based upon Gimp (Photo editing software) but with some of the more advanced features removed. Perfect for those looking to do simple jobs :)

~~ TS ~~

Thanks a TON! I've had GIMP for a week or so and almost pulled out my hair trying to use it, this is excellent! =)

Reaction score
Another great image app is ImageWell. It's simple to use and can do a lot for what it is.

ImageWell is the easy way to edit, rotate, crop and resize your image and upload it to your iDisk (.mac account), FTP server, or WebDAV server. No need to launch multiple applications to add text, labels, drop shadows and shapes. At the click of button the image is sent and a handy URL is copied to the clipboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.