Tiger or Leopard for G4 emac?

Reaction score
Hi all...

I got an ipod nano the other day but my emac is still on panther (10.3.9) so I need to upgrade to either tiger or leopard. The apple store 'genius' says that I can't run leopard and I can't find tiger for sale anywhere other than ebay (where I don't want to buy from).

Any suggestions of where to get tiger in the UK or if I can run leopard - my emac is a G4 1GHz PowerPc with768mb SDRam.

any help is greatly appreciated.:)

Reaction score
How come the Apple 'genius' said it wouldn't work? Your G4 (barely!) makes the minimum requirement, but it should work. Does it have a DVD drive?

OP
B
Reaction score
He says it needs 876mb (or close to that) to run it.

Other than the memory upgrade to 768mb my emac is standard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
He says it needs 876mb (or close to that) to run it.

Other than the memory upgrade to 768mb my emac is standard.
No, it needs an 867 MHZ G4 processor or better to run Leopard.

Your machine would be fine as it is.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll go ahead and get leopard, and let the 'genius' at the apple store know that the members of this forum know better than him!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
Thanks for the replies, I'll go ahead and get leopard, and let the 'genius' at the apple store know that the members of this forum know better than him!

I'd be cautious. It's just possible that you misunderstood what he said, although as pointed out with your specs you should be OK.

OP
B
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is that the guy in the apple store heard 768 and didn't hear the 1GHz part.

Thanks again for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.