Boot Camp: Sound Problem

Reaction score
I'm using a Macbook Pro, 2.16ghz Core 2 duo. I partitioned my harddrive using boot camp and run Windows XP primarily for music software.

All sound, even booting Windows XP "chimes", crackles and glitches. I write music using computer software (acidpro, reason...), and though I'm growing more familiar with osx applications, which run fine on this machine, there are still some core Windows apps that I was hoping would run smoother on my new notebook.

I am not so defeated as to surrender to the idea that windows xp just runs poorer on the macbook pro as I have a friend using a Boot Camp partitioned Windows XP on the same model Macbook Pro as mine, running multiples of the same music software apps that stutter on my setup. On his mbp they run flawlessly. It frustrates me to no end that my new pristine laptop hinders and fumbles where his excels even though his setup mirrors mine exactly.

I have talked to apple, waited at the genius bar, only to be turned away as boot camp (being beta) and especially windows xp are not "supported".

PLEASE any help or suggestions would be vastly appreciated!

Thank You

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The problem is directly related to the drivers being used under XP to support the built-in soundcard. It is not a hardware problem, otherwise you would see it also occur in OS X.

Unfortunately, what you were told by Apple support is absolutely true. Bootcamp and its corresponding drivers are still in beta, which means they are still under development. Nothing short of rewriting/debugging XP drivers for your Mac's soundcard is going to correct this problem - and unfortunately, as you might imagine, most of Apple's development team are focused on Apple software at the moment and less on development of XP software.

Eventually, Bootcamp will be released in full production and then you can expect to receive full support for bugs and problems like those you've experienced. Until then, I'm afraid you're kind of stuck. In some ways, I wish Apple hadn't done a public beta with Bootcamp since it's such a high-profile product. People have certain expectations and not having fully digested the fact that it is in beta (under development) end up being disappointed.

You actually might see better quality running XP in Parallels. Have you checked into that yet?

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, cwa. So, ie. the XP drivers and the Mac soundcard are at odds? Could this be remedied by booting in another edition of XP? I'm just curious as to why this is happening to my particular macbook pro, as opposed to my housemate's.

I haven't tried Parallels yet. Theoretically, would the Windows XP apps running through Parallels be operating on osx, bypassing the clash of xp drivers and mac soundcard? I'm just hesitant to spend more money only to achieve the same results. I'll do some Parallels research.

Again, thank you for the help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Thank you for the info, cwa. So, ie. the XP drivers and the Mac soundcard are at odds? Could this be remedied by booting in another edition of XP? I'm just curious as to why this is happening to my particular macbook pro, as opposed to my housemate's.

I haven't tried Parallels yet. Theoretically, would the Windows XP apps running through Parallels be operating on osx, bypassing the clash of xp drivers and mac soundcard? I'm just hesitant to spend more money only to achieve the same results. I'll do some Parallels research.

Again, thank you for the help!

Drivers are software programs that allow the operating system to interface with the hardware attached to it - like sound cards, video cards, printers, scanners, etc. They essentially provide the operating system a conduit with which to send and receive instructions to the device and vice versa.

So, when Apple developed Bootcamp, they had to create Windows XP drivers for the hardware within Apple products. Since those drivers are part of the Bootcamp package which is still in development, they are probably still going through the process of being refined and bug-checked.

When you use Parallels to run Windows XP, Parallels creates something known as a "virtual machine". In a sense, virtualization software (as it's known in the industry) emulates a very generic machine so that non-hardware-specific drivers are used by the guest operating system. So, when you run XP in Parallels, it's like we're talking about a different machine with a different set of hardware altogether.

If I were you, I'd take the Parallels software for a test run (there's a free trial on their website) and see how well your audio software works in that environment.

Reaction score
ive had the same problem.

FYI The sound is perfect in Parallels. But even after two installs of windows on bootcamp, i still get the crackles and stuff.

My guess is that it is a driver issue due to the inbuilt sound trying to work at too low a latency, hence not performing within its bandwidth capabilities. I wouldn't expect a fix untill bootcamp becomes live.

Reaction score
come to think about it, try turning down audio hardware acceleration:

go into sound devices in control panel. When your there, click the audio tab and then select the advance settings for your audio playback device.

Click the performance tab in the new window, then turn down the hardware acceleration

Let me know if this works

Reaction score
Solution - Audio problem in bootcamp (XP Pro SP3)

I tried for weeks to fix my audio driver. I tried installing the sygmatel driver and even downloaded the realtek driver of the site. Nothing worked until I got the same problem with my EEE PC 4G. The recommeded a windows update and it worked. I tried it on my macbook pro (oct 15 2008 edition) and it worked.

The update is KB835221 and you need request it from microsoft. Once installed, it will let you install the sygmatel driver. I uploaded the english update to a server (don't recommend it if you OS is other than english):
http://viscog.psy.umontreal.ca/~sylvainr/kb835221.rar

Here is the windows hotfix info: Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver available for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, and Window 2000

Good luck.

Here is the email they sent me:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION For your convenience, we put the hotfix that you requested on an HTTP site. You can download the hotfix from this site without us filling up your e-mail inbox.

WARNING This hotfix has not undergone full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the table at the end of this e-mail message. If you are not sure whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, we encourage you to wait for the next service pack release. The service pack will include a fully tested version of this fix. We understand that it can be difficult to determine whether any compatibility or installation issues are associated with a hotfix. If you want confirmation that this hotfix addresses your specific problem, or if you want to confirm whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, support professionals in Customer Support Services can help you with that.

For information about how to contact support, copy the following link and then past it into your Web browser: How can we assist you? For additional support options, please copy the following link and then paste it into your Web browser: Microsoft Help and Support Before you install this hotfix------------------------------

If you decide to install this hotfix, please note the following items: Do not deploy a hotfix in a production environment without first testing the hotfix. Back up the system or the computer that will receive the hotfix before you install the hotfix.

Additional hotfix information
-----------------------------
This hotfix package uses a password. Therefore, you must enter for each package the password that we included in this e-mail message. To make sure that you enter the correct password, we recommend that you highlight, copy, and then paste the password from this e-mail message when you are prompted. If you do not enter the correct password, you cannot install the hotfix. NOTE Passwords are set to expire every seven days. Download the package within the next seven days to make sure that you can extract the files. If there are fewer than seven days left in the password change cycle when you receive this e-mail message, you receive two passwords. If this is the case, use the first password if you download the hotfix package before the date in the "Password Changes On" field that is listed in the table at the end of this e-mail message. Use the second password if you download the hotfix package after the date in the "Password Changes On" field. NOTE For your convenience, we send the hotfix location to you in a hyperlink. To connect to this hotfix location, you can click the hyperlink in the "Location" field that is listed in the table at the end of this e-mail message to have your Web browser open that location. However, sometimes e-mail program settings disable hyperlinks. If the hyperlink in this e-mail message is disabled, please copy the hyperlink in the "Location" field and then past it into the address box of your Web browser. Make sure that you include the exact text (without spaces) between the parentheses in the http:// address. Package:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KB Article Number(s): 835221Language: All (Global)Platform: i386Location: (http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windo.../5011/free/198658_intl_i386_zip.exe)Password: uJ_gQo#*Password Changes On: 11/10/2008Next Password: _@1rSaJ@_+

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.