Verizon users w/ unlimited data - any options?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, I am eligible for a new phone and am considering the iPhone 5. However, not only is VZW forcing me to switch to limited data (@ $40 for 2GB, when my unlimited is $30), but also my voice plan. I have yet to call them, this is strictly what I'm seeing online.

My question is - has anyone been successful in upgrading and getting grandfathered into unlimited data? Furthermore, can I buy an unlocked iPhone and activate on Verizon?

I hate to leave them as the service has always been stellar for me - but this might be the last nail in the coffin as it will mean something like a 33% cost hike for less service.

Reaction score
Verizon Users w/unlimited data

Yes, a friend of mine had unlimited data on all 3 of there family phones when they got IPhones. They were able to be grandfathered in. You should be able to get it too. Give Verizon a call.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't answer your other questions Chris but:

Furthermore, can I buy an unlocked iPhone and activate on Verizon?

According to Apple, the unlocked iPhone 5 can only be used on GSM networks in the US which would leave out Verizon or Sprint.

From Apple:

The unlocked iPhone only works on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5 from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 5 is model A1428. For details on LTE support see Apple - iPhone 5 - View countries with supported LTE networks.. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't answer your other questions Chris but:

According to Apple, the unlocked iPhone 5 can only be used on GSM networks in the US which would leave out Verizon or Sprint.

From Apple:

The unlocked iPhone only works on supported GSM networks, such as AT&T in the U.S. When you travel internationally, you can also use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5 from a local GSM carrier. The unlocked iPhone 5 is model A1428. For details on LTE support see Apple - iPhone 5 - View countries with supported LTE networks.. The unlocked iPhone will not work with CDMA carriers such as Verizon Wireless or Sprint.

Thanks Charlie. I wasn't sure if that was just marketing BS, or entirely true. My understanding is that there are no hardware differences between the different carrier-tuned iPhone 5's, but that may be inaccurate.

I think I'm just going to give them a call and lay it out on the line. If they won't grandfather me in, then they lose me as a customer entirely.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think I'm just going to give them a call and lay it out on the line. If they won't grandfather me in, then they lose me as a customer entirely.

I don't blame you. I'm waiting for T-Mobile to announce they're ready to sell or deploy the iPhone. Rumor has it their iPhones will be sold only as unlocked. I'm not sure if I want to spend that much on an unlocked iPhone. If they subsidize the cost, I'll get one for myself and the wife.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did give them a call.

Evidently, I can use my wife's upgrade, which is eligible in September to upgrade my phone. Then, I can just switch the line over to mine and keep the unlimited. And of course, if her phone bites the dust, I could always have her use my upgrade - and hers is already on limited data.

Reaction score
Ok here is what I did upgrade another line with a iPhone than switch phone. Put the iPhone on unlimited plan and move your old phone to other line than drop data plan on other line to the smallest plan. If you upgrade your unlimited plan they will take it away from you. I just did this as of feb 13 2013

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Forty bucks for 2 lousy Gigabytes? SERIOUSLY? Holy %$#*!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm looking over their smartphone plans now. Their pricing is a bit... odd. They appear to not have individual plans anymore... they are all shared plans with unlimited talk/text. What I'm seeing is a flat $40/device line "access" fee. From there, it's $60 for 2GB data (plus unlimited talk/text as above); $70 for 4 GB; $80 for 6 GB; and so on.

So, a single phone will cost $100/month for 2 GB data, throw in another $10 for every +2 GB. Add another $40/line and increase the data allowance to compensate as/if needed since everyone is sharing the same pool.

That actually isn't as bad as it sounds. I mean it IS bad, but then so is every other carrier here. I may actually consider switching to Verizon, as much as I loathe the idea. I'd be paying $200 to get the same data amount our 3 lines have now; get unlimited talk on top of that vs the $700 minutes/month I pay for now (which will be a plus since my wife works from home a couple days a week now); but with my employer discount, I should be paying somewhere around $160 which is in the ballpark for what I am paying now on AT&T with my employer discount.

EDIT: Actually AT&T now has a similar pricing strategy for shared data plans. It'd come to about the same cost if I switched to the shared plan. Curious how these two companies constantly mimic each other.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: Actually AT&T now has a similar pricing strategy for shared data plans. It'd come to about the same cost if I switched to the shared plan. Curious how these two companies constantly mimic each other.

It's almost seems they're in cahoots with each other. That's why I'm still holding out to see what T-Mobile asks for their unlimited talk and data plans once they start to deploy the iPhone.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's almost seems they're in cahoots with each other. That's why I'm still holding out to see what T-Mobile asks for their unlimited talk and data plans once they start to deploy the iPhone.

That's what I'm waiting on currently with my 3GS.
But, I'm ready to upgrade.
Not sure I'll be able to hold out that long.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'd switch to T-Mobile... if only I could convince the wife. Apparently their service is pretty awful here, even though their coverage map suggests differently. I do wish they were more of a disruptive force in the market than they have been. It still eats at me that no one else has lower off-contract pricing options vs on-contract pricing.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm looking over their smartphone plans now. Their pricing is a bit... odd. They appear to not have individual plans anymore... they are all shared plans with unlimited talk/text. What I'm seeing is a flat $40/device line "access" fee. From there, it's $60 for 2GB data (plus unlimited talk/text as above); $70 for 4 GB; $80 for 6 GB; and so on.

So, a single phone will cost $100/month for 2 GB data, throw in another $10 for every +2 GB. Add another $40/line and increase the data allowance to compensate as/if needed since everyone is sharing the same pool.

That actually isn't as bad as it sounds. I mean it IS bad, but then so is every other carrier here. I may actually consider switching to Verizon, as much as I loathe the idea. I'd be paying $200 to get the same data amount our 3 lines have now; get unlimited talk on top of that vs the $700 minutes/month I pay for now (which will be a plus since my wife works from home a couple days a week now); but with my employer discount, I should be paying somewhere around $160 which is in the ballpark for what I am paying now on AT&T with my employer discount.

Yeah, I have done a bit of soul-searching and comparison shopping myself - particularly looking at Sprint, which is actually pretty decent in this area.

I simply can't get the kind of bargain that I'm getting right now with Verizon. We have two iPhones, a 4 and a 4S. I'm on unlimited data, my wife has 2GB for the 4S (capped). 550 minutes (which we rarely ever actually come close to), no limits to other VZW customers. 250 texts per month, but since we mostly use iMessage, we never come close to hitting that cap. All for about $120/mo less a 19% corporate discount. So, it's pretty darned good and no one else can touch that price.

I'm going to wait out my wife's contract, which is up in September. Assuming that she's still good with the 4S (and she should be), I'll upgrade her line with whatever the latest is (I'm going to assume the 5S will be out by then). Then, I'll re-purpose my 4 into an iPod Touch for the kids and transfer the new phone over to my line, retaining the unlimited data.

This assumes that they don't find some creative way to eliminate that particular loophole between now and then, however.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
I am out of contract with tmobile on my 3GS and am ready to upgrade to a iphone, but don't want to get locked into another contract, or stuck with a hefty data plan. I have been researching buying a refurbed iphone, or a new one, and then getting onto one of the pay as you go plans. Verizons seems to have the best pricing $40 a month, unlimited talk,text and data. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or has anyone heard/had a negative experience on the pay as you go plan?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be better off waiting on T-Mobile to deploy the iPhone which should be sometime this Spring. If their price plans remain the same as they are now, you'll get more bang for your $ from T-Mobile. I'm not a lover of pay as you go plans especially when it comes to data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
You might be better off waiting on T-Mobile to deploy the iPhone which should be sometime this Spring. If their price plans remain the same as they are now, you'll get more bang for your $ from T-Mobile. I'm not a lover of pay as you go plans especially when it comes to data.

That's good to know! I remember hearing about that over a year ago but didn't know if it would ever come to frutition. My current plan is a grandfathered one- the my faves plan, so I can call 5 specified people any time and it doesn't count against my air time. I turn the data plan off and on as needed, since I have passed my contract time. I would like to have a constant data plan, but really hate the idea of being locked in. I'm a free-lance writer--money comes when it comes! ;) My only really gripe about Tmobile is their coverage areas really, really sucks and verizon seems to be much better in my area. Oh, decisions decisions! Thanks for the heads up about the iPhone tho, it is appreciated!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's going to change considerably. T-Mobile will use AT&T's resources in addition to their own. Both carriers use the same method of transmission and identical frequencies. My iPad is with Verizon and our cells are with T-Mobile. I actually have better coverage around my home (North East Fort Worth) with T-Mobile than I get with Verizon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's going to change considerably. T-Mobile will use AT&T's resources in addition to their own. Both carriers use the same method of transmission and identical frequencies. My iPad is with Verizon and our cells are with T-Mobile. I actually have better coverage around my home (North East Fort Worth) with T-Mobile than I get with Verizon.

Do we know for sure the merge will happen in the spring? Or is it rumored to be spring? I might stick it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Ah... I think T-Mobile will be using the same frequencies as AT&T for their LTE rollout, but that isn't true for 3G service. As it is, all iPhones on T-Mobile are relegated to EDGE speeds as a result. Unless you are saying this is going to change?

Ah I answered my own question. T-Mo is re-tuning their network to be fully iPhone compatible.
iPhone 5 is ripe for T-Mobile once it finishes network overhaul — Tech News and Analysis

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do we know for sure the merge will happen in the spring? Or is it rumored to be spring? I might stick it out.

It's not going to be a merger. T-Mobile has always had an agreement with AT&T to use their cell towers and overlapping coverage in areas where T-Mobile coverage was sparse.

I frequently go to parts of Texas where T-Mobile coverage is spotty at best and have noticed my phone will switch to AT&T. At first I was reluctant to use it for fear of roaming fees. However, T-Mobile customer service informed me of the agreement and that there would be no roaming fees.

My understanding is that the agreement will also apply to when the iPhone is fully deployed by T-Mobile. That's why I would advise you to hold off until you see what the plans are from T-Mobile before you commit to a pay as you go with Verizon.

You can read through the info in the LINK provided by member "lifeisabeach" to get some idea of when it will happen. The problem with getting a Verizon iPhone even for pay as you go is that it can only be used on Verizon's network here in the US. If you decide to change providers later on you'll need a new iPhone.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.