What mac to get

Reaction score
Hello

I a pretty new to macs but I own a 13 inch mac book and a G4 mac mini. I use the mac mini as a media center on my tv using front row and itunes. I also have a mac book and that is pretty much my main computer. My PC is a very hi-end computer I built myself for gaming and uses Vista.

I am used to very high end systems and want to get a mac to do some video editing. I have several options.

What I really want is a new intel based mac pro. But with the prices are out of my range right now. I can save up for it but it will be awile to before I get it. I can buy a used G5 mac pro right now and that seems like a good idea but how long will programs support power PC processors? It seems that things will start coming out for intel based macs only now.

My next option is a new intel based mac mini. I would max it out on ram but I don't think it will have enough hard drive space. Anyone do some serious video editing using a mac mini?

An iMac is not an option since I will need to using a kvm switch to share the monitor, mouse, and keyboard with my pc.

I do not want another laptop since I want to use my 24 inch monitor so a macbook pro wouldnt work for me.

So what I am pretty much asking here is should I get the G5 mac pro or should I get the mac mini and use firewire hard drives to up the storage space.

Thanks for your help in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Given that choice, I'd go for the G5. The reason is that the Mac Mini has limited HDD speed and bandwidth and is only good for 2gigs of RAM. If you're serious about video editing, you'll want more RAM and way faster HDDs.

OP
J
Reaction score
Do you think future versions of final cut will be support the PPC or will they be intel only?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Do you think future versions of final cut will be support the PPC or will they be intel only?

Eventually they'll drop support for PPC, but not for a few versions at least.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.