ipad2 AND a macbook pro???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina, Late 2013, Memory 8GB, Yosemite.
hi all,i have a 13" macbook pro and am fancying ipad2,is there any advantage to having both?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I have both. I had the first gen wifi only, and found I didn't use it as much as I really wanted to, because if you aren't in a hot-spot, most of the apps are very limited. I got the iPad 2 with 3g, and I'm using it daily. Even if for nothing more than Facebook and Twitter feeds, it's been a tremendous improvement, because I can grab it, look for whatever information I want, launch any app, and it's just always there. Granted I haven't taken it on any road trips yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out this weekend as we cruise the highways to visit my in-laws. Much lighter and more manageable than having a laptop open in the car, or dragging around a computer bag with all the accessories.

p.s. The wifi model is now my wife's - part of the deal of me getting a new one! :-D

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that was a crafty move,i agree that an ipad is a better option when going away from home,wondering if i can justify having both,im new to mac and have had my macbook pro for just 3wks and got the magic trackpad yesterday,much more comfortable to use than the one on my macbook,maybe i will wait and have an ipad for christmas,no guilty feelings then.

Reaction score
I have both plus an iMac. I bring my iPad to work (Fire Dept.) since it's small and easily fits in a backpack (ride a motorcycle most days). I use the iMac when I want to sit in my office at home, and the MacBook Pro/iPad gets used by myself or my kids in the living room. There's no way I'd give any of them up, they all fit in perfectly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I use a MBP and an iPad 1 about equally would not give up either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I use my MBP as my primary means of web browsing, e-mailing, document/spreadsheet creation, etc.
My iPad 1 is great for when I'm on the couch watching TV and want to look something up in a hurry. "Who is that actor in this movie I'm watching?" I reach for my iPad and go to my IMDB app. It's also great for games like Words With Friends and Angry Birds. I prefer the iPad for road trips as it is easy to carry. But it does not replace my Mac because #1 it cannot compete with speed/power, and #2 I hate typing on my iPad. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17"(2.8 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB mem), 21.5" Imac, 15" MBP (2.4 ghz) all running ML
I love both. I use both at different times. The iPad is so convenient and I use it when traveling, when sitting in the back yard, down at the pool, etc. The MBP is what I use for photo editing as well as using the iMac.
I would get it. I love the apps.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thankyou all,i think i will end up with an ipad eventually,they look such fun,think i will wait a while tho and see if apple are going to bring out a new one for christmas,i suppose then it will be a case of ordering well in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thankyou all,i think i will end up with an ipad eventually,they look such fun,think i will wait a while tho and see if apple are going to bring out a new one for christmas,i suppose then it will be a case of ordering well in advance.

Don't hold your breath on that one. ;D The odds of Apple releasing 2 versions of the iPad (or any other device, for that matter) in the same year are about a billion to one against. The iPad seems to be on a yearly release cycle of April (in the U.S.) or 2nd quarter. The iPad 2s should start showing up soon in the refurbished store or you can wait until around April 2012 for iPad 3.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks,will probably get ipad 2 then.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm,i just about talked myself into an ipad2 when i saw as i was browsing speculation that ipad3 could be out september or october,wonder if theres in truth in it and should i wait?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Waiting for the next great thing in computing is kinda like waiting for the "right" girl or guy to come along. You miss out on the time you would enjoy now for something better that may or may not be available down the road.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats very profound lol,thanks for the input

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have a MBP and an iPad 1 and would not give up either for anything. My iPad gets taken everywhere, and the MBP gets used at home all the time. Since you dont really have to shut down the MBP, I keep it asleep until I have to boot into Windows. Instant on and surfing, gaming, producing is awesome.

Since the iPad isn't a computer replacement, it works really well to compliment even a laptop.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for that,can you tell me,is there different apps on ipad2 than mbp? or are they the same apps but written differently for each os.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for that,can you tell me,is there different apps on ipad2 than mbp? or are they the same apps but written differently for each os.

Apps that work on iOS devices will not work on a Mac. 2 different operating systems.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apps that work on iOS devices will not work on a Mac. 2 different operating systems.

yes i understand that,maybe i didnt phrase it well,what im wondering is,if i buy ipad2 and go in the app store will i find the same apps that i find in mbp or does ipad2 have different apps,if they both have the same apps maybe it isnt worth having both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
yes i understand that,maybe i didnt phrase it well,what im wondering is,if i buy ipad2 and go in the app store will i find the same apps that i find in mbp or does ipad2 have different apps,if they both have the same apps maybe it isnt worth having both.

You have the MBP, go into its App Store, then bring up iTunes and head into that App Store, do your comparison.

There will be some similar apps, but there will be huge differences. these are two completely different machines with completely different operating systems.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok brad thanks,didnt know you could do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.