Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2008 6 GB Ram 500GB HD LION; Iphone-4 (Verizon) 32GB; Ipod 16GB
Like so many who updated their IOS from 6 to 7 on their I phone 4, I noticed a significant deterioration of response time on the phone. Before I go to 7.1 can anyone tel me if this is going to improve my situation or make it worse?
Once bitten, twice shy. I just don't look at "updates" as being equal to improvements anymore.
Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you're already running iOS 7 on your iPhone 4...updating to iOS 7.1 should not cause any issues.:)

I would suggest doing a bit of research regarding the changes made from 7.0 to 7.1 to see what they are. Chances are it's just a bunch of compatibility, performance, and bug tweaks. But sometimes there are some minor new features as well.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I've read in various places on the web that 7.1 on the 4 has improved things. Although I have no real way to test myself on an older device, so YMMV.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The review I read said effectively this: Apple did a commendable job trying to trim down iOS 7.1 for the iPhone 4 but Apple can't get around the very real hardware limitations of the phone. The short version: it's better but it's still three year old hardware.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some folks don't realize that being able to upgrade to a newer iOS on their device (with some slower performance)...is MUCH better than not being able to upgrade at all.

Just ask folks with iPad 1's stuck with iOS 5!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
I have an IPhone 5c.
I read that many people were reporting shorter battery life but battery life has been better for me since 7.1.

Probably depends on the apps you are running.

pvp

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, iPhones in general are not great when it comes to battery life (compared to a dumb phone's battery life) but I generally can get four days or more on one charge. I have a 5c but keep BT off. Could probably do better by turning off cellular when I'm at home on my own network.

C

chas_m

I have an iPhone 4 and installed 7.1 on it. Have not noticed any change in battery life (which is good) just in speed (better than it was under 7.0, but that's just the animations talking). I don't have any regrets about putting iOS 7 on that phone -- the slide-up control panel ALONE was worth the upgrade, plus being able to put all my games in one folder.

The iPhone 4 isn't my main phone anymore, so I'm thinking of selling it (I have a 5s now). It's unlocked, which makes it more valuable here in Canuckistan. :)

aan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early-08 15" MBP 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 240GB SSD, OS X 10.6.8
Some folks don't realize that being able to upgrade to a newer iOS on their device (with some slower performance)...is MUCH better than not being able to upgrade at all.

Just ask folks with iPad 1's stuck with iOS 5!;)

- Nick

My old iPhone 3GS is on iOS 5. I would rather stay in iOS 4 but I was forced to upgrade when I unlocked it (officially through AT&T). My iPad2 is also on iOS 5. I am not going to upgrade my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. There is nothing valuable to me in the iOS releases starting iOS 5. I really doubt I would buy another iOS device if Apple goes the same way.

BTW: My home and work laptops are both running Snow Leopard. Tried really hard to adopt Mountain Lion and Mavericks and had to rollback both times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
I have a 5s and it runs great. The fingerprint is improved, and it runs faster on my phone.

My sister has a 4. I read in the about this update that it would increase speed for the 4 at least I think that's what it said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
I have an iPhone 4 and installed 7.1 on it. Have not noticed any change in battery life (which is good) just in speed (better than it was under 7.0, but that's just the animations talking). I don't have any regrets about putting iOS 7 on that phone -- the slide-up control panel ALONE was worth the upgrade, plus being able to put all my games in one folder.

The iPhone 4 isn't my main phone anymore, so I'm thinking of selling it (I have a 5s now). It's unlocked, which makes it more valuable here in Canuckistan. :)

Canuckistan that made me laugh...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My old iPhone 3GS is on iOS 5. I would rather stay in iOS 4 but I was forced to upgrade when I unlocked it (officially through AT&T). My iPad2 is also on iOS 5. I am not going to upgrade my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. There is nothing valuable to me in the iOS releases starting iOS 5. I really doubt I would buy another iOS device if Apple goes the same way.

BTW: My home and work laptops are both running Snow Leopard. Tried really hard to adopt Mountain Lion and Mavericks and had to rollback both times.

A lot of people don't want to upgrade until they want or need a new application that will only run on the new OS/iOS.
Another thing that happens to older systems at some point the company quits patching them.

aan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early-08 15" MBP 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 240GB SSD, OS X 10.6.8
A lot of people don't want to upgrade until they want or need a new application that will only run on the new OS/iOS.

True. But the pain of the OS upgrade could overweight the benefits of the new app.
Especially when you cannot return back to the old OS.

Another thing that happens to older systems at some point the company quits patching them.

I don't think anybody still writes viruses for Win 2000 / IE6. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.