Charge MacBook via USB ?

Reaction score
Hi anyone know if you can charge a MacBook via USB?

If not why not. What would they need to to do enable this? Obviously it would charge slower but for example my car has USB outputs to charge phone and GPS ... a passenger being able to charge or at least use the MacBook and not drain the battery would be cool.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi anyone know if you can charge a MacBook via USB?

If not why not. What would they need to to do enable this? Obviously it would charge slower but for example my car has USB outputs to charge phone and GPS ... a passenger being able to charge or at least use the MacBook and not drain the battery would be cool.

No, because a computer is a host and not a peripheral. Peripherals receive power from hosts, not the other way around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
You can always go to Walgreens or RadioShack and buy the Cigarette Lighter AC Converter. It, obviously, plugs into your cigarette lighter and it has Regular Output plugs that you can just plug your MacBook's Power Cord too and you got a Car Charger ;P

Hope that helps.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can always go to Walgreens or RadioShack and buy the Cigarette Lighter AC Converter. It, obviously, plugs into your cigarette lighter and it has Regular Output plugs that you can just plug your MacBook's Power Cord too and you got a Car Charger ;P

Hope that helps.

Cheers

I don't believe anyone besides Apple makes an adapter with a MagSafe end, since they have a patent on the design. This has been a common complaint since Apple's adapters are so expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It would take about 15 years to charge a battery using the output from USB.

The lack of cheap adaptors is a pain - I'd love a separate power supply in the bedroom, but for £60 Apple can go swing.

Reaction score
I don't believe anyone besides Apple makes an adapter with a MagSafe end, since they have a patent on the design. This has been a common complaint since Apple's adapters are so expensive.

I think the device he's talking about gives you an equivalent to a wall socket, so you can plug anything with a regular plug into it. Not a direct connector from the cigarette lighter to Macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
here is what am talking about. It is a pretty handy accessory actually:

laptop_car_adapters__dc_converters__power_cords__voltage_adapter-20070717-130213.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Radioshack sells a 20$ one socket power inverter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.