Kernel Panics with DiskWarrior v4.3

Reaction score
Is anyone else having Kernel Panics when trying to boot from Disk Warrior, v4.3? Alsoft's Website states that v4.3 (when upgraded from v4.2) now supports the Mac Mini but after upgrading to v4.3 (Rev 1002) this does not appear to be the case. The system will not boot off the DVD via either the 'C' key or Option Key, and will ultimately experience a Kernel Panic.

The disk image was created properly and Checksum matches. (Indeed, once in OS-X 10.6.7 Disk Warrior will launch. Unfortunately you cannot of course repair the boot disk).

Any input greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Is anyone else having Kernel Panics when trying to boot from Disk Warrior, v4.3? Alsoft's Website states that v4.3 (when upgraded from v4.2) now supports the Mac Mini but after upgrading to v4.3 (Rev 1002) this does not appear to be the case. The system will not boot off the DVD via either the 'C' key or Option Key, and will ultimately experience a Kernel Panic.

The disk image was created properly and Checksum matches. (Indeed, once in OS-X 10.6.7 Disk Warrior will launch. Unfortunately you cannot of course repair the boot disk).

Any input greatly appreciated.

Rather than making a boot disk, I recommend installing OS X to a USB thumb drive, boot from that, and run utilities like Disk Warrior from that. It's faster, let's you add software to that thumb drive as needed, run pretty much what you need, etc etc etc. Here's a tutorial on how to properly do this:
Format Your USB Flash Drive for Use With OS X

OP
R
Reaction score
Rather than making a boot disk, I recommend installing OS X to a USB thumb drive, boot from that, and run utilities like Disk Warrior from that. It's faster, let's you add software to that thumb drive as needed, run pretty much what you need, etc etc etc. Here's a tutorial on how to properly do this:
Format Your USB Flash Drive for Use With OS X
Many thanks! I very much appreciate the quick reply. I've got another FW HDD that I can boot from (compliments of SuperDuper) but this issue with Alsoft is aggravating. I paid $99 for this software only to find out later that there exists a variety of issues with iMacs, Mac Mini's, etc.

In part: "....All Mac models meeting the system requirements for DiskWarrior except the new MacBook Pros (introduced February 24, 2011) and the new iMacs (introduced May 3, 2011) can be started from the DVD. The current iMac Core i3, i5 and i7 models cannot start up from a DVD when using a wireless keyboard to type the "C" or "option" key to select the DVD at startup. To start up from the DiskWarrior DVD or any other DVD, you will need an Apple wired keyboard. Click here to learn how to repair the directory of a disk in a Mac model that cannot be started from the DiskWarrior DVD.".

The above taken from here.

I've been in IT for just shy of 30 years and have used Alsoft's products, hence my surprise at this entire issue.

In any event, again thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Many thanks! I very much appreciate the quick reply. I've got another FW HDD that I can boot from (compliments of SuperDuper) but this issue with Alsoft is aggravating. I paid $99 for this software only to find out later that there exists a variety of issues with iMacs, Mac Mini's, etc.

In part: "....All Mac models meeting the system requirements for DiskWarrior except the new MacBook Pros (introduced February 24, 2011) and the new iMacs (introduced May 3, 2011) can be started from the DVD. The current iMac Core i3, i5 and i7 models cannot start up from a DVD when using a wireless keyboard to type the "C" or "option" key to select the DVD at startup. To start up from the DiskWarrior DVD or any other DVD, you will need an Apple wired keyboard. Click here to learn how to repair the directory of a disk in a Mac model that cannot be started from the DiskWarrior DVD.".

The above taken from here.

I've been in IT for just shy of 30 years and have used Alsoft's products, hence my surprise at this entire issue.

In any event, again thanks for your help!

Well now, that sounds like a problem with Apple's current gen of Macs, not Alsoft. In fact, Alsoft says in their system requirements that they are waiting on Apple to release new startup files.
System Requirements

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read that the update you referenced is supposed to address that. Best to just call Alsoft. Might be a bug they don't know about yet, or maybe they do and are working on a fix.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well now, that sounds like a problem with Apple's current gen of Macs, not Alsoft. In fact, Alsoft says in their system requirements that they are waiting on Apple to release new startup files.
System Requirements

EDIT: Nevermind. I just read that the update you referenced is supposed to address that. Best to just call Alsoft. Might be a bug they don't know about yet, or maybe they do and are working on a fix.
Thanks. I've got support queries into them already, will get back with their reply when I hear from them. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have never got the updated downloads to boot yet. Far better to spend $18 and have the new 4.3DVD mailed to you. Mac Pro works well from the Alsoft DVD version 4.3.

OP
R
Reaction score
Have never got the updated downloads to boot yet. Far better to spend $18 and have the new 4.3DVD mailed to you. Mac Pro works well from the Alsoft DVD version 4.3.
Agreed, but this version of Disk Warrior was just purchased ~2 months ago. I won't drop another twenty dollars this quick.

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.