Video card drivers in bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
Im running XP in bootcamp and I want to update the drivers for my video card. Do I need to download it and install it twice - one download for my OS X partition and another for my Windows partition? Or does one download onto one partition work for both partitions??

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Im running XP in bootcamp and I want to update the drivers for my video card. Do I need to download it and install it twice - one download for my OS X partition and another for my Windows partition? Or does one download onto one partition work for both partitions??

The OS X driver is provided by Apple. NVIDIA does not develop OS X drivers. So, if you want to update your Windows video driver, by all means, download and install it - but Apple will take care of the OS X side through Software Updates when and if an update is necessary.

OP
Stefan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro
My graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1600, not NVIDIA - does that change anything? Will Software Update still automatically download ATI drivers?

Anyway, thank you for your reply. I was looking to update the drivers for work on my Windows partition anyway.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My graphics card is an ATI Radeon X1600, not NVIDIA - does that change anything? Will Software Update still automatically download ATI drivers?

Yep. Apple will update your Mac OS X drivers for you automatically regardless of which brand of card you have.

Anyway, thank you for your reply. I was looking to update the drivers for work on my Windows partition anyway.

Sure thing. Just visit ATI's site instead of NVIDIA and get the latest drivers for your card there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.