Mac quandary

Reaction score
I recently purchased Quad Core Mac Pro 1,1 for proposed video and music editing and recording.

Specs: two 2.66 Ghz C2D Intel Xeon 64-bit processors, 8.0GB of RAM, 2.0TB of Hard Disk Space (2 x RAID Sets) Running 10.6

Software installed: Final Cut Pro (latest) Logic Studio (latest) Adobe CS3 et al

I paid the same as I could have done for a new iMac but opted for the inclusion of software I'd otherwise have to purchase separately and there's more memory and storage on the Pro; however there are no manuals for the sophisticated software and, having not used a Mac before, reckon the learning curve would be enormous. The alternative is to return the Mac buy a PC with i7 and purchase Reaper for recording or go for the iMac and a new version (with manual) of Logic/other. Does the software on the Pro outweigh the benefits of a new processor (i5 for the iMac) or not? I'm confused! I'd be most grateful for any advice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I recently purchased Quad Core Mac Pro 1,1 for proposed video and music editing and recording.

Specs: two 2.66 Ghz C2D Intel Xeon 64-bit processors, 8.0GB of RAM, 2.0TB of Hard Disk Space (2 x RAID Sets) Running 10.6

Software installed: Final Cut Pro (latest) Logic Studio (latest) Adobe CS3 et al

I paid the same as I could have done for a new iMac but opted for the inclusion of software I'd otherwise have to purchase separately and there's more memory and storage on the Pro; however there are no manuals for the sophisticated software and, having not used a Mac before, reckon the learning curve would be enormous. The alternative is to return the Mac buy a PC with i7 and purchase Reaper for recording or go for the iMac and a new version (with manual) of Logic/other. Does the software on the Pro outweigh the benefits of a new processor (i5 for the iMac) or not? I'm confused! I'd be most grateful for any advice.

The Mac Pro you purchased is the original "quad-core" Mac Pro introduced in 2006. So this is certainly a used computer...and the software that was installed on it (Final Cut Pro, Logic Studio, Adobe CS3 et al)...unless you received the original install disks & serial numbers for the software...are illegal copies!!!

Since this software appears to be illegal copies...of course you did not get any manuals! Most pirated software usually does not include manuals.

So to your question..."Does the software on the Pro outweigh the benefits of a new processor (i5 for the iMac) or not?"

The software installs you mentioned most likely sound like they are illegal copies...so there really is no discussion about it's "benefits".

Your choices in order to be completely legal are:

- Keep the Mac Pro and erase all of the illegal software that came with it.
- Return the Mac Pro to the person you bought it from (which would really surprise me if you can).
- Buy an iMac and your own copy of the software you need.
- Buy a PC (Windows computer) with an i7 cpu, and purchase the software you need.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Many thanks Nick for the enlightening yet disconcerting appraisal. I work in education so there is no way I can work with illegal copies of software. Is there a method whereby I can determine whether or not the software is legal or not? If I click on, say, Soundtrack Pro and the About tab, I am advised that the software is licensed to this computer. If it is indeed illegal I will encourage the seller to reimburse me. Thank you again for your assistance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many thanks Nick for the enlightening yet disconcerting appraisal. I work in education so there is no way I can work with illegal copies of software. Is there a method whereby I can determine whether or not the software is legal or not? If I click on, say, Soundtrack Pro and the About tab, I am advised that the software is licensed to this computer. If it is indeed illegal I will encourage the seller to reimburse me. Thank you again for your assistance.

First let me mention that I bear no malice towards you when I mentioned that the software on your Mac Pro is most likely illegal.

Many many folks who have just purchased a used Macintosh computer with a bunch of expensive software on it will get "argumentative" when you tell them the software is illegal.

Many many sellers of used Macintosh computers will install copies of really expensive software like any of the Adobe Creative Suite products, or the video editing software sold by Apple...as a way to "encourage" buyers to buy their computer because of the "GREAT" deal due to the software. Many sellers will even charge you "EXTRA" for all of this great (but most likely) illegal software.

If a buyer does not get the original install disks & original serial numbers for the software...then the software in many cases is an illegal copy. This software is meant to be installed on only one computer...since the single user license serial numbers are good for only one computer install at one time (but there are ways around this).:(

There are ways that corporations, universities, and schools can get multi-user software install licenses (which are very very expensive)...but generally speaking...these licenses don't apply when a single seller sells to a buyer.

The Mac Pro computer you purchased is still a very very good and expandable computer (I have one)...so if you got it for a good price then it might be a good idea to keep it. But if you paid more than it is worth...especially if you paid extra due to the software...then it might be a good idea to try & get your money back...if possible.

I hope that this helps...good luck,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
I would certainly opt to return the computer if the software has been pirated, irrespective the value of its legitimate equivalent; however, I would need to establish definitively that the software is an illegal copy/copies. "Volume license" appears when I click on Final Cut Pro but I am conscious of the fact that no disks or manuals were provided for any of a multitude of expensive (when legitimate) programs on the computer. Losing one or both items for one program may, at a pinch, be understandable but for all of them, unlikely in the extreme, especially considering these are the latest versions. There is an Apple store nearby, would you think that it could determine the authenticity or otherwise based on the machine and the software serial numbers attributed to it?

Apologies for labouring the question but, if it transpires that the software is indeed legitimate, would the aforementioned programs on my Mac Pro outweigh the advantages of a new processor with a brand new iMac with no such software? In simple monetary terms, the answer suggests that the Mac Pro would be the preference of the two but that is my admittedly simplistic reasoning.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would certainly opt to return the computer if the software has been pirated, irrespective the value of its legitimate equivalent; however, I would need to establish definitively that the software is an illegal copy/copies. "Volume license" appears when I click on Final Cut Pro but I am conscious of the fact that no disks or manuals were provided for any of a multitude of expensive (when legitimate) programs on the computer.

There is an Apple store nearby, would you think that it could determine the authenticity or otherwise based on the machine and the software serial numbers attributed to it?

Apologies for labouring the question but, if it transpires that the software is indeed legitimate, would the aforementioned programs on my Mac Pro outweigh the advantages of a new processor with a brand new iMac with no such software? In simple monetary terms, the answer suggests that the Mac Pro would be the preference of the two but that is my admittedly simplistic reasoning.

As far as the "Volume License" you see. When a user first installs a program which requires the some sort of serial number & user information to be entered...the serial number of course needs to be entered correctly & accurately. Sometimes then the installation also requires the user to enter their name...such as John Smith. Now if the person that installed this program instead of entering the name "John Smith" entered "Volume License"...the program doesn't know the difference.

So what I'm saying is...it's possible that the "Volume License" term you see could simply be where the proper name of the registered owner of the software should appear. Of course I have absolutely no way of knowing this for sure...and maybe the person that sold you this computer has a "volume license" for the software that is installed.

But generally speaking if you have a computer with software that has a "volume license"...usually you have some sort of "longer term relationship" with the person (or business) that sold you the computer. What I mean is...having software with a volume license usually means that you are a student or professor at a school or university, or an employee of a business or corporation.

I don't know if this person that sold you the computer is only selling one computer or sells hundreds of computers. If they are selling hundreds of computers (or even 5, 10, 20, etc. computers)...I bet that many or all of them contain the same software! That's the way these guys work. Every computer they sell has pirated or illegal copies of expensive software on them...and they may be charging a little extra for the software. That's how these guys make extra money, and this is how these guys get people to buy their computers...instead of someone else selling the same computer WITHOUT the illegal software!

As far as going to your nearby Apple Store to see if the they can help you determine if the software is legitimate...well you could. But the chances are pretty high that the software is illegal...and they may REQUIRE you to delete all of this software before leaving the store. This may or may not be something you are ready to do at that very moment.

It's kind of like going to the local police station. What if you went to the Apple Store...and they scanned your computers serial number...checked their database...and found out that your computer is stolen...and they confiscated it??? Now you have NO computer & you are not going to get any sort of refund of your money!!! Is this a chance you want to take???

I'm not saying your computer is stolen...or that you should keep a stolen computer if you found out it is stolen. But do you REALLY want to take the chance of losing this computer AND also not getting your money back if the computer does turn out to be stolen???

This could sort of be a situation of..."Don't Ask Don't Tell"!

As far as your last question...if the software is legit...is it worth keeping the Mac Pro vs. getting a new iMac? The original 2006 Mac Pro is still a very very good and capable computer. If the software is legitimate, and this software is important to you for getting tasks done that you need to do...than I would say that keeping the Mac Pro would be the best option.

Here's one more thought concerning the software. I don't know how much you paid for this Mac Pro...and how much extra you paid for it due to the installed software. But don't you think that if the seller of this computer paid thousands of pounds or dollars for the software (and assuming that the software is legal)...don't you think that the seller would have had to:

- charge you a substantial amount extra for the software
- included the original install disks & associated serial numbers
- and included the manuals

Face the facts. There is a very very high probability that this software is illegal. You don't get something for nothing in this life! You can either choose to:

- keep the computer & erase the software
- keep the computer & do not erase the software
- return the computer to the seller (which I seriously doubt...unless the seller is a friend or acquaintance of some sort).

Good luck with your decision,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.