• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Best DVD Burn Speed?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning to burn about 450 GBs of AVI video files onto the DVD-Rs as backup and to transfer the files back onto my laptop if my hardrive fails.

At what speed should I burn my DVD-Rs at in order to retain maximum video quality and to ensure the DVDs will last as long as possible?

Here's the stuff I have:

Media: Verbatim DVD-R 16x (4.7G)

Software: CDXPBurner

Burner: My Macbook Pro

Specs: 8x slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Maximum write: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD

Thanks a lot, any help is really appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
At what speed should I burn my DVD-Rs at in order to retain maximum video quality and to ensure the DVDs will last as long as possible?

The speed at which a DVD is burnt does not impact its longevity or video quality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
cwa that's not entirely true. A slower burn rate does decrease the likelyhood of a defective brun. If your data is important, you should burn at the slowest rate.

You should burn the AVIs as files on a filesystem, rather than convert them to DVD video. You'll maintain their quality that way. Every conversion of format will reduce quality.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cwa that's not entirely true. A slower burn rate does decrease the likelyhood of a defective brun. If your data is important, you should burn at the slowest rate.

You should burn the AVIs as files on a filesystem, rather than convert them to DVD video. You'll maintain their quality that way. Every conversion of format will reduce quality.

Agreed, there's a higher likelihood of a defective burn, but assuming that the disc is burned properly and verified (which many programs do automatically), the longevity would not be effected.

OP
H
Reaction score

Er, what do you mean by burning the AVIs as files on a filesystem? I'm not intending to convert the files so I can view it on a DVD player or anything. Does the software automatically covert the files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Hel, I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page. No conversion would be done to the files unless you spcifically did so. You can archive the AVIs or any other file to DVD media.

Reaction score
YOU Definately need to burn it at least half of the speed of your burner. So if you have an 8 x burner, do 4 x. This will reduce skipping at the end.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.