Chance at a Free iBook

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum, not new to forums or Macs. (I once had a Macintosh 6300 with OS 7!)
I've been Windows dominant since 2006 because most of my school software only ran on Windows.

My last Mac was a G4 tower back in the day, and since I'm a Journalism major, I use the newer Macs all the time.

I have a opportunity to get a free iBook G3 (A1007) from a friend, I was wondering if it would be worth turning into a quasi-netbook? I use a Widows tower for all my paper writing and web page updating, and a Ubuntu laptop for my newbook-type usage (Facebook, Youtube and general web browsing while I'm down stairs watching TV)

I would only use it for Facebooking, checking my bank accounts and watching Youtube from time to time. It would be nice to sync up my iPhone 4 to it to modify photos using iPhoto and the like, but thats about it. I really only need/want iTunes to sync my phone and Google Chrome to web browse.

It was no OS at the time. What OS 10.3 or 10.4 would be best for my needs?
What minor upgrades would be nice to have? More RAM?

Any other advice?
Thanks for any input!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a opportunity to get a free iBook G3 (A1007) from a friend, I was wondering if it would be worth turning into a quasi-netbook?

Yes & no.

I would only use it for Facebooking, checking my bank accounts and watching Youtube from time to time. It would be nice to sync up my iPhone 4 to it to modify photos using iPhoto and the like, but thats about it. I really only need/want iTunes to sync my phone and Google Chrome to web browse.

It was no OS at the time. What OS 10.3 or 10.4 would be best for my needs?
What minor upgrades would be nice to have? More RAM?

Any other advice?
Thanks for any input!!

You "could" use this iBook for checking your bank account, "maybe" Facebook...but TOTALLY TOTALLY forget about You Tube...and TOTALLY TOTALLY forget about syncing with your iPhone 4.

- This G3 iBook is at least 9 years old...and possibly a lot older depending on the model.
- At best it can run OS 10.4...but 10.3 would probably run faster.
- If this iBook does not currently have an OS installed on it...an OS install disk of 10.4 will cost you around $75 bucks...OS 10.3 $20-$25
- this iBook in no way has the graphics hardware to watch You Tube videos
- you cannot sync with your iPhone 4...since to sync itunes with an iPhone 4...you need OS 10.5.8...which a G3 iBook cannot run.

Apple - iPhone 4 - Technical Specifications

Besides all of these downsides...this computer most likely would need a ram upgrade (which wouldn't be cheap)...and with a ram upgrade...it would still be painfully slow.

Basically...this G3 iBook does still have some useful "life" in it. But...this would mostly be limited to:

- "basic" internet browsing (no sites with lots of sound, video, or complex graphics)
- online banking
- playing mp3's
- viewing photographs taken with a digital camera

Depending on the exact specs of this G3 iBook, how much ram it has, and that it most likely is not currently setup to be wireless (another $20-$30 bucks)...and that it's missing an OS...I could easily see you spending $125+ to get it operational. Keeping in mind that this computer probably isn't even worth $100...sinking $125 or more into it (and still having a very limited computer)...would not be the best idea.

I'm just being brutally honest...since I want you to have realistic expectations...and not spend a lot of money getting it running...and after spending the money...be disappointed.

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
No, thanks for the harsh-ness. No sense in getting my hopes up.

So bottom line, its useless and I should pass on taking it off my friend's hands?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If it will run Tiger 10.4 you could do somethings on the web, but like Nick said, forget You Tube or any other videos like that.

with 10.3 Panther, a friend just last night has to run it on his old G4 due to a special MIDI music application and doing anything on the Web is horrible. Sites not going in, ETC.

OP
B
Reaction score
I think I'll go for it, I found some G3/G4 optimized browsers that will help with flash loading and the like.

I'd love to load an OS 9 emulator so I can play Escape Velocity Override like I did in 4th grade =)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As long as you know it's limitations I would still go for it for FREE! Free is good! :D

I have a 700 Mhz G3 iBook, a 900 Mhz G4 iBook and 1.33 Ghz G4 iBook.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an old version of Ubuntu on my iMac G3 333Mhz. Runs well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.