I have an idea for an App!...advice needed.

Reaction score
Hi,

Well I am not sure if this is the correct area to start this thread, if not my apologies.

Anyway, I have an idea for an App for the Mac (I am assuming OS X refers to Mac).
I do not want to be too specific, but the App will be for the Education arena.

I have no experience with developing Apps nor any time. So I am willing to pay a
developer to design it for me.

I would appreciate some suggestions on how I can find a developer and any additional
helpful advice.

If all goes well I would like to have this App featured on the App Store ;)

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I don't want to seem like throwing cold water on your dream, but you did ask for advice.
The truth is that good ideas are a dime a dozen, the real work is in implementation. That applies to almost everything, from writing novels to starting businesses.

Having gotten that out of the way, if you really want to pursue your idea you need to get rid of the "I don't have time" mentality; that will not cut it. You are the one with the vision, you can't hire someone to have it for you. You can on the other hand find someone to partner with, but that doesn't mean tossing your idea over the fence and walking away untill it is done.

If it were me, I would start by developing a plan for the APP (probably a series of Powerpoint slides) demonstrating what the APP does, its intended market and any other particulars, as well as mockups of screen visuals.
This will serve several purposes:
1) It will refine the project in your mind
2) It will help in recruiting a partner
3) It will serve as a roadmap for the project

BTW I am not a developer, but have managed and sold many engineering projects through the years, so take the above FWIW.
Good luck

Hth
Razormac

OP
G
Reaction score
I don't want to seem like throwing cold water on your dream, but you did ask for advice.
The truth is that good ideas are a dime a dozen, the real work is in implementation. That applies to almost everything, from writing novels to starting businesses.

Having gotten that out of the way, if you really want to pursue your idea you need to get rid of the "I don't have time" mentality; that will not cut it. You are the one with the vision, you can't hire someone to have it for you. You can on the other hand find someone to partner with, but that doesn't mean tossing your idea over the fence and walking away untill it is done.

If it were me, I would start by developing a plan for the APP (probably a series of Powerpoint slides) demonstrating what the APP does, its intended market and any other particulars, as well as mockups of screen visuals.
This will serve several purposes:
1) It will refine the project in your mind
2) It will help in recruiting a partner
3) It will serve as a roadmap for the project

BTW I am not a developer, but have managed and sold many engineering projects through the years, so take the above FWIW.
Good luck

Hth
Razormac

Thanks for your response Razor! Actually I am looking for a partner. True, I have the vision, but with a day job it is difficult to do it myself. And also, a professional that makes Apps can work more efficiently than I can since they already have the knowledge and experience.

I believe there is a need for the App I want to create since I have not seen one like it yet. And it is for a particular niche: Math Teachers. I am one myself. I do not want to give too much away...lol

A bit off the subject, is there a mock-up app you recommend? I want to create one for starters.

Thanks

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your response Razor! Actually I am looking for a partner. True, I have the vision, but with a day job it is difficult to do it myself. And also, a professional that makes Apps can work more efficiently than I can since they already have the knowledge and experience.

I believe there is a need for the App I want to create since I have not seen one like it yet. And it is for a particular niche: Math Teachers. I am one myself. I do not want to give too much away...lol

A bit off the subject, is there a mock-up app you recommend? I want to create one for starters.

Thanks
Sorry, I don't know of any APPs that might help. I would use MS Powerpoint and put together some slides that mimic screenshots of how you envision your APP looking, as well as flow of the process.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To create a mockup, I suppose you could Interface Builder itself (which comes with Xcode). There's also Photoshop if you're comfortable with it - mockup templates here.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To create a mockup, I suppose you could Interface Builder itself (which comes with Xcode). There's also Photoshop if you're comfortable with it - mockup templates here.

Good resource!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.