Running Macbook off Adapter without battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
Is it ok to take your battery out and run your macbook off the adapter if you like to leave it plugged in alot. I just thought it might save some cycles on my battery :\

Reaction score
I always do this with my "OLD LAPTOP PC" but im thinking of doing it with my new macbook.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Should be ok, just make sure you don't knock the power cable out and lose all that important work...

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been running it off the adapter since my first post and it seems to be running fine ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
juust remember. the new apples clock down the cpu if u take the battery out and run off AC.

if u dont believe me, run coreduotemp, and watch it drop

Reaction score
yeah, many do run their macbooks from the ac adapter without the battery. i personally do run my macbook from the ac adapter and have the battery installed. once the battery is charged it doesn't chage further, it just stops. but the question i keep asking myself is when you remove the battery. there is no rubber sole on the right hand corner of the macbook to hold it up so won't the mactop always be bobbing around?
thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
i run my macbook of the ac with the battery installed
dont think it will do any harm as i take it off about once or twice a week

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've always heard that if you leave the charger in after its charged it wears down your battery. I know this was the case for my previous laptop. It was always plugged in and after about a year of doing this its charge without the ac adapter lasted about an hour at most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD
I am running off the adapter now. I am just very careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
let me reiterate...

if you take your battery out while on AC your performance specs will be cut in half.

if this is worth it to you, which i dont know why it would be, remove your battery.

otherwise, keep it in, let the laptop run the way/speed it should.

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
once the battery is charged it doesn't chage further, it just stops.

Is this true, and if it is does that mean it won't wear down your battery if you leave it plugged in all the time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes thats true.

leave your battery in at all times, thats what it was meant todo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I am not sure whether or not the urban legend of leaving the battery in and charged all of the time will cause it to degrade is true or not. I would think that will today's more efficient technologies that even if this were true, the amount of degradation would be negligible.

Personally I would think that even though a battery may show green and be charged, it still has some kind of juice running through it and then into the laptop. How else could one account for the great redundancy of the macbook's (and most laptop systems) ability to have the plug pulled and continue working without so much as a hiccup?

All speculation though, I am by no means an expert :p

OP
AnthonyJK
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the part of my question that im worried about still hasn't been answered ;) does it wear down the battery when you leave it charging all the time. Like I said it wore down my old laptops battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
To continue:

I believe that a battery is in a constant state of discharge no matter what. This occurs whether or not the battery is plugged in or by itself on a table. The addition of heat to a batter, however, increases that rate of discharge, thereby forcing you to charge it sooner than intended. With that in mind, perhaps it is killing the battery at a faster rate to be in the machine charged as opposed to by itself in a cool spot.

EDIT: Sorry, simple answer:
Yes, your battery is discharging constantly, to include while plugged in and "fully charged" in your macbook. Evidence suggests that your battery will wear down less quickly if away from the heat of your machine, but since it isn't a big story all over the computer world I doubt that it's that much of an issue. Your battery's life is primarily decided by how often you cycle it (use the charge, charge it back up).​

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.