Installing Snow Leopard on Mac Pro that came with Lion?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can I safely install Snow Leopard on a just purchased new Mac Pro that came with Lion installed.

I know in theory that the Mac Pro internals havn't changed and could be bought with Snow Leopard before Lion was released, but I know Apple doesn't recommend installing any version of the OS that is lower than the one supplied with the hardware.

Are they likely to have made unmentioned under-the-hood changes to the hardware that would cause Snow Leopard to become cranky on the Mac Pro?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You're going to be hard pressed to get SL to work on a new Mac Pro. The retail discs of SL will not have the drivers on it for any Mac released after the date of the release of SL. Nor will the SL discs that came with any other system type work.

OP
T
Reaction score
You're going to be hard pressed to get SL to work on a new Mac Pro. The retail discs of SL will not have the drivers on it for any Mac released after the date of the release of SL. Nor will the SL discs that came with any other system type work.

Even if we have another Mid2010 Mac Pro (theoretically identical to the new one ) which has a Snow Leopard Disc?

The current Mac Pros are still, I believe, classed as Mid2010 models as Apple hasn't upgraded them since then.

OP
T
Reaction score
The older Pre-Lion Mid2010 Mac Pro and the newer Lion Mid2010 Mac Pro both have the same EMC number which to mind means that they are basically the same machine. So I'm going to give at go by using the Snow Leopard disc that came with the Pre-Lion Mac Pro.

Reaction score
Yeah, seriously, what have you got to lose? Back up your data and try it. Then come back and let us know how it went ;D

OP
T
Reaction score
It appears to have installed without any glitches.

I'll let you know if we find any, but I don't think we will.

Cheers.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It appears to have installed without any glitches.

I'll let you know if we find any, but I don't think we will.

Cheers.

Good to know . . . though I haven't had any problems with Lion. Then again, I am not using any PPC software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.