exe. and zip. files

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, Intel Core Duo, 13" Display
I have a MacBook and whenever i try to download something that is a exe file or a zip compressed file nothing happens. But dmg works. What do these mean and what is the solution to this problem.

-Thanks

_scottwparker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Well .exe files are Windows based executables and so wont run on OSX.

.Zip files are just compressed files, have you got anything like StuffIt? If not get StuffIt to decompress .zip's, .rar's, etc etc

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
an exe file is a windows executable file. OS X cannot run them (though you could under parallels or bootcamp).

i believe you should be able to open zip files, as zip is just a compression format/tool. stuffit expander may open these, but i can't say with 100% authority.

edit: symondavis beat me to it. ;)

OP
scottwparker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whenever I open the .zip file it opens or should i say tries to open and says that it is a .exe file so that explains it. but is there anything that i can buy or download to bypass this?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
like i said, to run an exe file, you need to run parallels or bootcamp. or a windows pc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well .exe files are Windows based executables and so wont run on OSX.
an exe file is a windows executable file. OS X cannot run them
is there anything that i can buy or download to bypass this?
Well, you could use a Windows machine. :D

Seriously, it isn't going to work under OS X. You will have to use Windows to run your .exe files.
Like eric mentioned, if you have an Intel-based Mac, then you can run Windows under Parallels and that should take care of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook(W) 2Gb, 2Ghz & Bluetooth Mighty Mouse, Now my Apple glows colours, Red Apple and Green Leaf.
Maybe this guy wants to extract and burn to CD etc to use on a Windows based machine.

OP
scottwparker
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, that would lead me to my next question. What are parallels?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ZIP files open on Any mac in my house without stuffit expander installed. Support for ZIP's Is built into OSX.

You need Stuffit Expander (FREE) to open files with the .sit extension and others like RAR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not 'are' but 'is'. Parallels allows an intel based Mac to run windows in various modes on the system.
Boot camp is similar but does not allow dual systems to run at the same time, but gives Windows 100% hardware access to the machine.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just booted up my Core Duo Mini. Fresh install if OSX 10.4.9 and all zip files from my XP box opened with one click!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
maybe we're asking the wrong sort of troubleshooting questions...

what is this exe file supposed to do? is it a program, script?
maybe if we knew that, we could direct you to an OS X equivelent.

Reaction score
I have stuffit expander...same problems for me , but when I try to "stuff this "PFD2web" thing it says

"the file "pdf2web setup.exe" does not appear to be compressed or encoded> It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of this file".

no clue what to do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
I have stuffit expander...same problems for me , but when I try to "stuff this "PFD2web" thing it says

"the file "pdf2web setup.exe" does not appear to be compressed or encoded> It is advised that you obtain further information about the contents of this file from the sender or provider of this file".

no clue what to do

Well, the error message pretty much tells you what's up here. It's not an archive, but a Windows executable. And that means "Windows ONLY".

Reaction score
Soo basically now i can't put my own layout on my webpage. So out of 40$ nice......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD
You could use crossover. It lets your run windows exe's in os x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Let me clarify:

A ZIP file is a compressed file that can have any other type of file compressed inside it. It could have JPG pictures in it, Mac programs or Windows programs. Anything.
Double click and the files that are inside will become uncompressed, and you'll be able to use them.

Your ZIP file has a PC program in it though. An .exe file is a PC program. It will only work in Windows. It will not work in OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You wanna look out for the following logo's before purchasing any software or atleast try a demo/trial

macos-universal.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.