New to Macs - can't open file on shared drive?

Reaction score
Hi - just got a new iMac and am set up to share drives on my PC via the router. Can see shared drives and files within on my PC (Word document) via Finder and a couple of days ago I could open these files across the network.

Tried opening same files today (or any others) and get an error saying "document name.doc is being used by "another user". Do you want to make a copy?"

Can anyone advise why this might be - that I could open them once but not now and how I solve this problem? PS. I have Office for Mac 2008 running.

Would really appreciate your help?

Thanks

MJC1964

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Erm, is it being used by another user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Then that is unusual! Have you tried the obvious restart of the PC option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
its a known issue in enterprises that office sometimes doesn't "let go" of the file after its done with it. Best tip i can give you is to open it on the PC and copy all content and start a new document and then paste the content over to that one and save it with a different filename. (There might be some hidden files in the directory of the .doc file with $ in them which indicates temperary files that are hidden, these can cause the "lock" too. Please note that they're the files used for restoring if you computer crashes)

besides that there is some tools that let you check which users/apps is using which files, you could use one of those to check the .doc files with.

OP
M
Reaction score
its a known issue in enterprises that office sometimes doesn't "let go" of the file after its done with it. Best tip i can give you is to open it on the PC and copy all content and start a new document and then paste the content over to that one and save it with a different filename. (There might be some hidden files in the directory of the .doc file with $ in them which indicates temperary files that are hidden, these can cause the "lock" too. Please note that they're the files used for restoring if you computer crashes)

besides that there is some tools that let you check which users/apps is using which files, you could use one of those to check the .doc files with.

Thanks LeAStrale - but this is a problem for every single Word document that I'm trying to access on my PC. When I firts set up my iMac I could open them no problem but now I can't. Because there are so many files I couldn't do as you suggest. When I respond yes to making a copy I get a message that says "Word cannot open this document. The document might be in use or might not be a valid Word document"

However I know it is a valid Word document as I have opened it (and others) recently.

Just tried same for an Excel document on PC across the network and it opens fine??

What are the programs that tell me who/what is using a document currently?

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest rev. Macbook in white :)
I unfortunately won't be able to help you before im off the job in anoter 3 hours and i can't remember the name of the app atm. But its for windows.

How many documents are we approximately talking about?

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks - seems to be all Word documents (Hundreds).

Anyone else got any ideas?

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.