iBook vs. MacBook?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a PC user who wants to get a Mac laptop. Can someone please help me by telling me the differences between the iBook and MacBook? I know the iBook is the older model and is now cheaper, obviously. Does it really pay to spend the extra money on a MacBook? I don't need anything fancy. Is one clearly a better computer or are they comparable?

Oh, and one last question. I know MacMall.com is a cheaper way to go but are their 'puters reliable? They aren't refurbished, are they?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
The difference between an iBook and a MB is immense. MB comes with the latest Core 2 Duo processor from Intel whereas iBook has a relatively old G4 (PPC) processor from IBM. MB are obviously energy efficient and extremely fast running native applications. However not all the applications are running native on new MBs but this will soon be history.

MB has lot of hardware improvements compared to its predecessor such as new processor, better display, better network card, etc.,.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
As novicew said, the difference is huge. It's an entire generation gap between the two machines, and everything is improved. The iBook is a great choice for a budget machine if you can get one cheap enough, but it'd have to be very cheap considering it likely wouldn't be under warranty.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you for your helpful reponses. The only thing that's really throwing me is that I have to buy WORD separately?! Yikes, it's $400.

Also, as a PC person, how will I figure out how to use a Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
there are many alternatives to word on mac. neooffice and openoffice are two.

OP
D
Reaction score
But I am a writer and editors usually require Word.

Does anyoneone have any experience buying from MacMall.com?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Thank you for your helpful reponses. The only thing that's really throwing me is that I have to buy WORD separately?! Yikes, it's $400.

Well, Word by itself (without Excel or PowerPoint) is "only" $210. Office Standard is currently $340 (from Amazon.)

But, you don't have to buy Word. Depending on your needs, you might be better off with NeoOffice (for free) or iWork ($80) both of which can export Word docs to some degree.

Also, as a PC person, how will I figure out how to use a Mac?

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/
http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
That gets you started. Beyond that, just experiment...and ask questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
I am required to have word too...but i dont.

neo-office has a built in utility that allows you to save documents in word format. I email attachments all the time in word format. haven't had any problems.

Reaction score
Neo Office can open Word documents (.doc) and save to them, easy as pie. No one will tell this difference and it is free and continuously being updated. Try this before deciding to pay for Microsoft Office. Not only does it do just Word files, it also will open and save to every other Microsoft Office file, IE: .ppt, .xls, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
also the ibook is a dying breed....the mb will last a long time, can run windows, is the latest and greatest, and many many more things. yes it does cost more but the price is worth it
-chris

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I love my ibook for the work I do on a laptop away from home, but if I had it to do over again i would for sure get the Macbook. It's faster and better in every way than the ibook and like Coach said, more future proof. It's everything the ibook was and a LOT more all in one machine at to me a very fair price for all you get.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
definitely do not buy an ibook...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 C2D Black MacBook, Ram = 1gb, 120gb HDD
No one had commented on his question about MacMall which i was wondering too

Reaction score
But I am a writer and editors usually require Word.

Does anyoneone have any experience buying from MacMall.com?

get the student/teacher version.
it's $150.
i got it on sale for $100 at CompUsa.
AND it came with a $50 rebate!
you just gotta look for a good deal. ;-)

Reaction score
Macmall and ibook/macbook

Well you have diffrent problems going into both the ibook and the macbook, the macbook is alot faster and I mean alot its like a neon vs. a viper, although I have heard of the macbooks having problems with breaking fans and breaking optical drives also a common complaint is the macbook shutting itself down on its own which will likely be fixed in a next firmware update...but the ibook has a major problem which is the video the ibooks motherboard can flex and the ATI 9550 graphics unit can lose contact with the motherboard and low and behold you have no video at all and need a new motherboard...$700 as much as an ibook now adays... except you will have no warranty so go with the macbook for sure plus you dont know how much longer apple will support ibooks ppc for the new operating systems, oh and one last thing macmall.com is wonderful I bought my imac g5 2.0 Ghz from them and an ipod 5G and nothing but the best I know many people who have bought from them and www.macmall.com is HIGHLY recomended and will give you nothing but the best costumer support!!!! :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Viper, they've already fixed the RSS with a firmware update a while ago.

About Macmall. If you are getting something without a mail in rebate, go ahead, you shouldn't have any problems. But if you are buying something with a mail in rebate, you have a very high chance of not seeing the rebate return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I don't have first-hand experience with MacMall, but I've heard mixed reviews of their service. I have a friend who did a lot with PCMall (a sister catalog) and liked them.

MacMall is closing out their iBook inventory at really cheap prices, which is probably how the original poster started putting this under consideration.

Another friend of mine swears by MacConnection, and yet another swears by OWC (eshop.macsales.com). I've had a couple good experiences with MacConnection and excellent service from OWC.

If I were looking for a discounted Apple product, the first place I would look would be Apple's web site. Go to store.apple.com and look for the red "SALE" tag-- that will take you to their refurbs and closeout section.

An iBook is a perfectly serviceable solution and for basic stuff would do just fine. It all depends on what you plan to do with the computer: if you want to use it to write The Great American Novel, check email, and surf the web, you'll be fine. If you want to get into tasks like photo editing, you may find yourself frustrated and wish you went the MacBook route.

Hope this helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.