F1-F9 and RIGHT SHIFT not working

Reaction score
A while ago F1-F9 and RIGHT SHIFT stopped responding.
I've looked around for a solution, but all threads about it ends with no solution.

And, yes, I have "use f1 f2 keys as standard function keys" unchecked!

Fwiw F10-F12 for volume/mute still works...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which machine? Model, year, and tell us what version of OS X you're using.
Assuming you have a desktop Mac, what kind of keyboard?

OP
J
Reaction score
Which machine? Model, year, and tell us what version of OS X you're using.
Assuming you have a desktop Mac, what kind of keyboard?

iMac, Intel Core i3, bought it a month ago.
Mac OS X 10.6.4
The keyboard is the one I got with it, AppleWirelessKeyboard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since you bought the machine a month ago, it's still under warranty. Make an appointment with your local Apple store genius and have them look at it. You could have a defective keyboard, which if it is, they'll give you a new one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Quick question, Did any liquid spill/Splash on the keyboard? Do you have another keyboard you can try like a USB keyboard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That no longer sounds like a hardware problem if you've tried other keyboards and the same thing occurs. What software have you installed lately? Have you made any modifications to the system in any way? And, as you were advised in the first replies, the machine is under warranty. If you can't resolve it, you might want to let Apple look at it.

OP
J
Reaction score
The only software I can think of that may cause a conflict is VMWare Fusion which I use to run Windows 7

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I think it must be software related as I'm using a macbook and not an iMac with keyboard.

Anybody got a solution?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
First of all, install the 10.6.6 update if you haven't yet - it's good housekeeping.
Next: have you tried checking and unchecking that box?

Reaction score
Yes I've tried ticking the box - didnt work.

I've tried the "press f2 & f3 randomly whilst booting" - didn't work.

I've tried resetting PRAM (option-cmd-p-r and hold down whilst booting and let it chime a few times) - didn't work.

Not tried 10.6.6 update as I'm only 10.5.8 and that would require me to buy Snow Leopard. Was hoping for a free fix!

It used to work when I got the Macbook (1997 white one). I was on 10.4 at the time and suddenly f1 to f9 plus right shift stopped working.

10.5 upgrade made no difference so I'm reluctant to buy 10.6 on the chance it will fix it.

There's many forum entries online about this but no good answers.

Thanks for your reply though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yes I've tried ticking the box - didnt work.

I've tried the "press f2 & f3 randomly whilst booting" - didn't work.

I've tried resetting PRAM (option-cmd-p-r and hold down whilst booting and let it chime a few times) - didn't work.

Not tried 10.6.6 update as I'm only 10.5.8 and that would require me to buy Snow Leopard. Was hoping for a free fix!

It used to work when I got the Macbook (1997 white one). I was on 10.4 at the time and suddenly f1 to f9 plus right shift stopped working.

10.5 upgrade made no difference so I'm reluctant to buy 10.6 on the chance it will fix it.

There's many forum entries online about this but no good answers.

Thanks for your reply though.
Sorry, I meant the other guy who said he was on 10.6.4.
10.5.8 should of course work too. Have you tried the usual troubleshooting stuff (repair permissions, delete plist file etc)?

Reaction score
I've just tried repairing permissions - made no difference.

When you say delete plist file - which one? I tried the keyboard plist file and that didn't do it.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.