Aluminum Macbook Paint Chipping Off (Discoloration)

Reaction score
I bought my Macbook in 2009 i believe and slowly throughout the months i noticed (aluminum?) chipping away near the trackpad on the lower right hand side edge. I thought it must've been something i did by accident that had caused that damage but then more started (chipping off?) and i realized that there must be an issue with the Macbook. So now i'm here in mid 2011 thinking if its possible to bring it back to the store and fix or replace it? Does it count as a manufacturing defect or would i still need to have a warranty/coverage plan on it in order to replace or fix it?
Pictures:
http://i.imgur.com/1Zxw6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sGYXk.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Is your MacBook Pro covered by Apple Care? If not (it sounds like you didn't buy Apple Care), I would take it in to the nearest Apple store and let them decide whether or not to repair it for free. The repair would likely require replacing the entire case surrounding the trackpad and keyboard.

OP
B
Reaction score
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Is your MacBook Pro covered by Apple Care? If not (it sounds like you didn't buy Apple Care), I would take it in to the nearest Apple store and let them decide whether or not to repair it for free. The repair would likely require replacing the entire case surrounding the trackpad and keyboard.

I'm not sure if i have my macbook (not macbook pro) covered yet. So they wouldn't replace the macbook with another?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you purchased the MacBook in 2009 and did not buy Apple Care, then it's not covered. However, as I stated previously, I would take it to an Apple store anyway and have them look at it. They may decide to repair it for free. You've nothing to lose by trying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.