MBP audio on a tv?

Reaction score
I bought a Amazon.com: Cables To Go 27016 Velocity Toslink-to-Optical Mini Plug Digital Cable (2 Meters): Electronics and a Amazon.com: Cables To Go Velocity Right Angle Adapter - Toslink to Mini Plug (40017): Electronics to connect it to my HDTV in order to get Audio out of my Mid 2009 MBP and into the TV, but i still am not getting any audio out of my TV speakers.

Im using a Minidisplay port to HDMI adapter, and a HDMI cable to get the image, which i get just fine, but i still cant get audio.

Am i doing something wrong? or do i need to get another cable for audio?

Thanks so much

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You have the wrong cable/adapter.

That is a stereo mini-plug on the TV - it is not optical. It is an analog input, not digital. There are no TV sets that I've seen yet that have digital audio input except direct through the HDMI.

You need a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug cable like this one.

Hang onto the one you've got though, because that'll be what you want when you move to connecting the audio to a surround system instead of the TV.

OP
T
Reaction score
You have the wrong cable/adapter.

That is a stereo mini-plug on the TV - it is not optical. It is an analog input, not digital. There are no TV sets that I've seen yet that have digital audio input except direct through the HDMI.

You need a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug cable like this one.

Hang onto the one you've got though, because that'll be what you want when you move to connecting the audio to a surround system instead of the TV.

Thank you, already ordered it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.