Start up programs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
Anyone know how to find and remove such start up programs that aren't so inherently useful right on start up? I know there is Pref>Accounts>Login Items but I heard there is a more intricate way to seeing the important stuff.

Reaction score
The login items should usually cover everything that you should be touching. You can see more in Applications > Utilities > System Profiler if you choose "Startup Items" under Software in the list to the left. You can't change anything here though, and I wouldn't, for the sake of my system.

Login items really is the stuff you can safely remove, the rest is OSX, and I trust OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
Anyone know how to find and remove such start up programs that aren't so inherently useful right on start up? I know there is Pref>Accounts>Login Items but I heard there is a more intricate way to seeing the important stuff.

Scremox,

Navigate your finder to /System/Library/StartupItems.

Note--Becareful of deleting items that you need. You might have some errors if you delete something that you don't know of :eek:

I would first check System Profiler about what each does (as the post above says), it gives you a 1 or 2 word description of the purpose. Then navigate to the folder I mentioned above to go from there. If you still can't decide, I would google the startup item, I'm sure somewhere on the web, there's an explanation.

Good luck!

OP
Scremox
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 Ghz, 80Gb Blackbook
Awesomeriffic! I'll try it. Thanks a lot lad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.