• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

How to burn a Lion boot disc

Reaction score
How to burn a Lion boot disc

lion6711.jpg
Mac OS X Lion will debut in July and this handy set of instructions from Egg Freckles will let you create a boot disc for installation. OS X Lion will be distributed via the Mac App Store and you can download the installer files to your hard drive. Once you have the installer files, follow these steps to create your very own boot disc:

• Use Finder to locate the Mac OS X Lion installer, right-click and select "Show Package Contents"
  • Find the SharedSupport folder and look for a file names "InstallESD.dmg". This is the Lion Boot Disc image.
  • Copy the "InstallESD.dmg" file to another folder such as your desktop.
  • Launch Disk Utility and click the burn button
  • Select the "InstallESD.dmg" copy as the image to burn, insert a DVD, and in a few minutes you will have a brand new Lion Boot Disc.
These instructions won't do much for everyone right now since OS X Lion is still in the hands of the developers. Bookmark, Evernote or Instapaper this post for future use. You'll be glad you did when Lion rolls out next month.

How to burn a Lion boot disc originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Tue, 07 Jun 2011 13:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And there we have it ........

Reaction score
Seems to me that the big question is: Is this just a boot disc for DR purposes, or will it contain the full contents of Lion, so it can be completely installed even without an Internet connection?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Somehow it still doesn't feel the same. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Somehow it still doesn't feel the same. >_<"

That's what a lot of people said about purchasing albums from iTunes. I'm one of them. I prefer to have the CD case in my hand. I like the feeling of opening the impossible shrink-wrap. It's an "experience".

Reaction score
Still stinks for me. Due to the crap connection I have here in Alaska it will take me 2 weeks to download Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Just thought of something else.
Completely hypothetical for now, but it makes me wonder if a new Mac purchased after Lion is released in July will come with an install DVD. Or is Lion to be pre-installed on all new Macs after July? Hmm...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Still stinks for me. Due to the crap connection I have here in Alaska it will take me 2 weeks to download Lion
Apple is forgetting about people you don't have access to fast internet connections. I'm hoping they will provide a DVD mailed to you if requested.

I am glad to hear we can make a bootable DVD ourselves and hopefully it's the full Lion that doesn't need access to the internet for installation as Shikarnov has pointed out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP Late 2010 2.4ghz, 4GB, 250HD - 2010 iMac 21.5-inch 3.06GHz Intel Core i3, 500HD, 4GB
That's very good to know! D:

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
whenever I see the Lion I think "JohnCL" instantly :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Apple is forgetting about people you don't have access to fast internet connections. I'm hoping they will provide a DVD mailed to you if requested.

I am glad to hear we can make a bootable DVD ourselves and hopefully it's the full Lion that doesn't need access to the internet for installation as Shikarnov has pointed out.

I'd rather a USB drive like the Airs have. Installs so much faster. I'll be creating a USB installer instead of burning it to a DVD when I get Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
I'd rather a USB drive like the Airs have. Installs so much faster. I'll be creating a USB installer instead of burning it to a DVD when I get Lion.

Me too. Hopefully there will be instructions posted on how to do this with a regular thumb drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I think this needs to be a sticky already.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I vote for Sticky, especially with particulars on a bootable USB drive, since I've never done one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I would rather use USB drives too but the article didn't mention it so I didn't want to make assumptions. Macs can be picky about which DVDs work in the optical drives so USB would hopefully be more reliable. My MacBook Pro can't even read the OS DVD that came with it.

Reaction score
I have no idea how to make a bootable usb drive, but would be interested if someone could post this as I would prefer this option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I had planned to upgrade to Lion on my MacMini first of all as a trial, before risking my iMac. I am beginning to wonder if the MacMini will actually run it.

Anyone know if the older MacMini will run Lion please? I think it was about a 2007 :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Anyone know if the older MacMini will run Lion please? I think it was about a 2007 :Confused:

If your your sure its a 2007 then yes you can as it has a Core 2 Duo in it. 2006 then thats another problem . . . . .

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.