from 2 gig to 3 gig, big difference?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
would i see a big difference in performance if i bump my ram from 2 gig to 3 gig. i mostly use my imac for photos (lots of it) and music and occasionally video editing. so far it handles my task ok but im wondering if it would speed up everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
best way to tell is by checking in Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor to see if you have any Page Outs in the system memory tab. If you are getting page outs that means your computer is using the hard drive as a temporary memory storage and you would see some benefit from the extra 1gb

OP
Kulokoy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D, 2 Gig.
thanks, i will try to run my apps and check the activity monitor.

thanks

Reaction score
It depends on whether or not you are planning on buying Leopard when it comes out. It will be true 64 bit and will be both better at using that much memory and will also perform better with larger amounts of memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
the only way it will make a difference is if you are currently running out of ram. if you never run out of ram then adding more will do nothing but waste your money.
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The short answer is "I doubt it". I have 2.5 GB of memory on my machine, and run a menu bar memory meter (among many other such meters). I have never seen my Mac even come close to fully using the 2.5 GB I have. Like you, I do photos, lots of 'em, in Photoshop, plus of course, Firefox and Thunderbird, iTunes and lots of other stuff. 2GB is plenty!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20, Intel Dual Core 2.3GHz, 1Gb RAM, 256Mb Video; G4 tower 444Mhz w/ 1G RAM, 2x G3 towers
what about games in bootcamp? i'm trying to decide if i should go with 3Gb or get a matched pair of 2x2Gb to take advantage of the dual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The short answer is "I doubt it". I have 2.5 GB of memory on my machine, and run a menu bar memory meter (among many other such meters). I have never seen my Mac even come close to fully using the 2.5 GB I have. Like you, I do photos, lots of 'em, in Photoshop, plus of course, Firefox and Thunderbird, iTunes and lots of other stuff. 2GB is plenty!

You'd be surprised. I have 2gb and when working on some yearbook files (over 1gb each) it got to the point where I was rebooting after working on each file because I was paging out while working on them

what about games in bootcamp? i'm trying to decide if i should go with 3Gb or get a matched pair of 2x2Gb to take advantage of the dual

Until the iMac is updated to using the Santa Rosa chipset you won't be able to recognize 4gb, the max is 3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.