Weird noises from iMac 27" when turned off (with video)

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 27" iMac Intel core i7 which I bought in august 2010. The last couple of days I have heard some weird noises when going to bed and when all electronics are turned off. I figured it was my external hard drive which is connected to the iMac. Yesterday when i went to bed I heard these noises again and laid my ear into the hard drive and realized that the sound was coming from my iMac. There are about 4-5 of these noises then it becomes silent and it does not happen every time I turn it off. I haven't heard them when the iMac is on.

I went to the store I bought the iMac from and they said they would check it out. One hour later they called to let me know it was done. When I went to get it they said they had started it up and couldn't hear anything

The noise seems to be coming from the right side of the computer, probably where the CD slot is, or a bit below.

I recorded for about 5 minutes and in the clip below you can here the noises. Remember all electronics were off.

YouTube - ‪1.MOV‬‏

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the computer itself works completely fine. No problems!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do you have a CD in the slot? Do you get the same noise if you just put the iMac to sleep or only when you turn the iMac off? How much after the iMac is off do you get this noise?

OP
J
Reaction score
Do you have a CD in the slot? Do you get the same noise if you just put the iMac to sleep or only when you turn the iMac off? How much after the iMac is off do you get this noise?

There is no CD in the slot, I barely use it. I have only noticed the noise when it's turned off. I have heard the noise two days in a row now. The first time was about 2am when the iMac had been turned off for at least an hour. The second time it was within the first 10 minutes after I turned it off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
By chance is there an external hard drive attached, or a Firewire drive etc?

If not suggest turning volume right down, or muting, and see if the noise still occurs.

OP
J
Reaction score
By chance is there an external hard drive attached, or a Firewire drive etc?

If not suggest turning volume right down, or muting, and see if the noise still occurs.

Yes, there is a LaCie external hard drive attached at all times. In fact as mentioned, I thought external HD made the noise at first.

I also have an Apogee duet audio interface (audio card) connected through firewire, if that is what you mean by firewire drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Try disconnecting both for a good night's sleep. Then hook up the drive first and if no problems you know it is the card.

OP
J
Reaction score
Try disconnecting both for a good night's sleep. Then hook up the drive first and if no problems you know it is the card.

Thank you for the advice. I will try, all though it might be hard since the noises aren't constant.

Do you have any idea why the HD or the card might make these noises come from the iMac? And possibly what it is inside the iMac that makes the noises? I would be great for me to know so I could tell the technician at the store what might be the problem. He didn't seem to quite understand what i was talking about.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.