Strange slowing freezing issue silver key MBP

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought a 17" Silver key macbook pro (a1261, 2.5ghz, 2gb ram, 250gb hd, 10.6.8) to replace my older 17" a1226. For a few days , the new 17 worked great. I installed 10.8 on it, worked fine. I swapped the drives (to keep my files and 320gb 7200) and then things started slowing a bit. I decided to back up, then install 10.8 on my older snowleopard 320gb HD. This worked ok at 1st, then slowed, slower and slower.

I have wiped my drive 4 times, to reinstall a OS that doesn't move slow. 2 attempts at reinstall ML 10.8 (both failed), then reinstalled SL 10.6. That installed (from disk) but every click takes 15-30 secs to respond.
I've tried :

~ resetting SMC, PRAM
~ installed different ram chips
~ AHT (passed fine)
~ disk utiltiy

nothing helps... has anyone found this same issue ? I'm usually good with figuring these things out, but this has me stumped.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your 350 GB 7200 RPM drive may be failing and causing the slow downs. Did you try putting back the original 250 GB drive that was in the newer 17" MBP to see if that made a difference?

OP
J
Reaction score
I've already sold the smaller drive. I didn't think it could be drive since I've been using that drive for 4 months with no issues and it passed disk utility repair and I wiped it each time i installed OS. I guess I'll have to pull a drive from another computer to test out that theory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also be aware removing drives can cause the SATA cable to fracture. They are pretty fragile and all that heat does them no good at all.

OP
J
Reaction score
I use a spudger to pry cables that are glued down, I've swapped 4 dozen drives without ever breaking a cable. Besides, broken cable would be blinking question mark folder on boot, not slow response.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have wiped my drive 4 times, to reinstall a OS that doesn't move slow. 2 attempts at reinstall ML 10.8 (both failed), then reinstalled SL 10.6. That installed (from disk) but every click takes 15-30 secs to respond.

If the old 250 gig HD worked fine...and the "new" 320 gig is slow (even after fresh installs of the OS). Then it's almost definitely the 320gig HD. HD's (old or new) can fail (or start to fail) at anytime.

I'm betting that if you still had that 250gig HD...it would have worked fine as well.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've already sold the smaller drive. I didn't think it could be drive since I've been using that drive for 4 months with no issues and it passed disk utility repair and I wiped it each time i installed OS. I guess I'll have to pull a drive from another computer to test out that theory.

That's not necessarily an indication that there isn't something wrong. I had a drive in an '08 Mac Pro fail suddenly. Right until the day it quite the S.M.A.R.T .status tested as OK. Then suddenly numerous failures appeared. I found out later that there are a large number of possible test parameters and not all utilities test all available S.M.A.R.T parameters.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.