macbook pro ram problems

Reaction score
I have a mid 2010 13" macbook pro ... It has 4 gig ram , it also has extended warranty thru future shop ... Future shop says they have to install the ram (or warranty is void) so I take it to future shop to have the ram changed from 4 gig to 8 gig .. 1st future shop changed the ram and the laptop froze , they had to remove it and re-install the original ram ..So I took it to a larger future shop in the city who had several different types of mac compatible ram , no luck laptop still would just freeze ... They say an authorized mac service center has to look at it ..
Anyone know how future shop warranty in Canada works ..?..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a mid 2010 13" macbook pro ... It has 4 gig ram , it also has extended warranty thru future shop ... Future shop says they have to install the ram (or warranty is void) so I take it to future shop to have the ram changed from 4 gig to 8 gig .. 1st future shop changed the ram and the laptop froze , they had to remove it and re-install the original ram ..So I took it to a larger future shop in the city who had several different types of mac compatible ram , no luck laptop still would just freeze ... They say an authorized mac service center has to look at it ..
Anyone know how future shop warranty in Canada works ..?..

I don't know anything about Future Shop...but here's the logic of the situation as I see it.

Your MacBook Pro has 2 ram slots. In the 4gig configuration this would most likely mean both slots are filled with a 2gig stick of ram in each slot (2 x2gig=4gig).

When Future Shop installed 8gig of ram...they most likely installed 2 x 4gig of ram (both ram slots filled)...thus 2 x 4gig = 8gig.

When the original 4gig of ram is installed...everything works fine...thus there is nothing wrong with the computer (both ram slots are good). When Future Shop installed the 8gig of ram...then the problems started.

In my humble opinion...the simple answer is...Future Shop installed the wrong ram...or the ram they installed is not compatible with a 2010 MacBook Pro. I'm betting that if the correct ram is installed...everything will be fine!:)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Both future shop stores have service centers and the tech guy in the city sounded VERY computer smart .. I didn't see all the types of ram they tried but 1 guy came out and took 2 packages off the wall , so I went over and read the package it said :
Crucial 4gb DDR3
1066 MT/s 204 pin
compatible with macbook and iMac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Both future shop stores have service centers and the tech guy in the city sounded VERY computer smart .. I didn't see all the types of ram they tried but 1 guy came out and took 2 packages off the wall , so I went over and read the package it said :
Crucial 4gb DDR3
1066 MT/s 204 pin
compatible with macbook and iMac

Yes...that does sound like it could be the correct ram...but the fact remains...if your original 4gig of ram works fine...and the 8gig ram upgrade doesn't...then either:

- the new ram is defective (both packages)
- the new ram is the wrong ram

I think that you should tell us the EXACT model laptop this is including:

- the cpu speed
- video hardware type
- MacBook Pro or MacBook

...just to be 100% sure we know the exact model we are dealing with.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Macbook Pro
13 inch , Mid 2010
Processor - 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NVIDA GeForce 320M 256MB
Software - OS X 10.8

Mountain Lion was installed the day it came out (about a week ago) on both the Macbook Pro and my 27" iMac

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
13 inch , Mid 2010
Processor - 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory - 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics - NVIDA GeForce 320M 256MB
Software - OS X 10.8

This is the exact same 13" MacBook Pro my wife has. "We" (me) did the exact same ram upgrade that you're trying to do (4gig to 8gig). Purchased some Crucial ram off Amazon:

- 204 pin, DDR3, PC3-8500 CL7, 1066Mhz

...and it worked great...no problems!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.