Need help deleting Codec-M

Reaction score
I wanted to watch a video online and ended up downloading Codec-M.

After watching my video (which was slow anyway due to my internet connection... college campus, go figure) I did not want the Codec-M program and deleted the file. I just put the folder in the Trash. (Stupid idea... I know).

Now I cannot uninstall it. I know it's bad/a bad add-on.

I tried to download it again just to uninstall it but can't even do that. The download link on the official website just redirects back to the websites homepage and the contact email is invalid/inactive. I've removed it as an add-on on Safari but I cannot remove it from Firefox. I have an old version (not sure which) because I do not like the newer version or its interface much. Every time I click disable or uninstall it tells me to restart Firefox. I do so and then it says a new add-on had just been installed, like I did it all over again. I have tried to delete every file I know that had Codec-M involved but it is still here. I removed the infected files my anti-virus found (though I cannot remember if it was after or before I got the Codec-M). But Firefox opens slowly now or at least the icon on the dock moves up and down slower than usual.

Since I do not have the file folder on my MacBook anymore, I don't know what to do.

How do I uninstall/take this thing off my laptop for good?

I hope this was descriptive enough. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
A program like AppDelete will delete the folder as well as any prefs and other files that have been added to the library folder

OP
M
Reaction score
A program like AppDelete will delete the folder as well as any prefs and other files that have been added to the library folder

I have deleted the files in the Library folder that i could find. But the program is still here... Thanks though.

Other advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Has it inserted a prefs pane in System Preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 menu > System Preferences

Has Codec M inserted an Icon at the bottom of the Preferences window

OP
M
Reaction score
 menu > System Preferences

Has Codec M inserted an Icon at the bottom of the Preferences window

It is not there. But it still on my Firefox as an add-on. I cannot find it anywhere on my computer. This is weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Trash Firefox, using Secure Empty Trash and later download a fresh new version and see if that improves things. Many folk consider that codec to actually be malware.

Reaction score
Uninstall Codec-M

There is an Uninstall application on the .dmg file you originally downloaded which will uninstall it from Safari, Firefox and Chrome as well as deactivate and remover the updater and LaunchAgent files.

Reaction score
Codec-M Files To Remove

I am removing this from my brother's Mac right now. Here's what I've found that needed removing.

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.codecm.uploader.plist
~/Library/Application\ Support/Codec-M/
~/Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Extensions/codec-M.safariextension
~/Library/Caches/com.whitesmoke.Codec-M
~/Library/Safari/Extensions/codec-M.safariextz

/Applications/Codec-M.app/
/Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/Contents/Extensions/codec-M.crx

Note that it's best to stop the "uploader" agent before removing it. You can do this with the terminal command

launchctl stop com.codecm.uploader

I also found that the Safari home page had been changed to 'isearch.whitesmoke…' as mentioned here.

I'm still running a global "find" for other files, if it turns up more stuff I'll update this thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.