• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Yorker architecture critic harsh on Apple 'spaceship'

Reaction score
New Yorker architecture critic harsh on Apple 'spaceship'

applemothership.jpg
New Yorker architecture critic Paul Goldberger has written a harsh critique of Apple's forthcoming "spaceship" campus, designed by Foster + Partners. The writer describes the building as a "gigantic donut," and calls it "troubling, maybe even a bit scary," in part because it lacks the functionality of the devices Apple makes. "A building is also a tool, but of a very different sort," Goldberger says. "In architecture, scale -- the size of various parts of a building in proportion to one another and to the size of human beings -- counts for a lot....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Apple Donut! iDonut!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like Mr. Goldberger is suffering from a case of "Sour Grapes" envy, probably wishing he was the architect that Apple hired to design the new Spaceship building. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Charlie do not let him see the Pentagon!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
It sounds like Mr. Goldberger is suffering from a case of "Sour Grapes" envy, probably wishing he was the architect that Apple hired to design the new Spaceship building. :p

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm not afraid of UFO's you wuss! Bring it on!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I'd give a man who has won a Pulitzer Prize for Distinguished Criticism and has written arguably the most prominent urban architecture column in the world for the last 14 years a little more credit than that... especially considering he doesn't design buildings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
One of the benefits of the Pentagon building is a person can walk from any point in the building to another in less than seven minutes. I can see a similar claim once the new Apple campus is completed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd give a man who has won a Pulitzer Prize for Distinguished Criticism and has written arguably the most prominent urban architecture column in the world for the last 14 years a little more credit than that... especially considering he doesn't design buildings.

Sounds like the problem with our society... We idolize people who can criticize, but don't actually do the work themselves.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
That's the beauty of Architecture, it is very subjective and everyone has a point of view.

Maybe he is a bit annoyed that it was design by a british firm, who knows.

I think it looks great. In a way similar to the apple brand, beautifully refined on the outside (slender steel and glass panels, double stacked offices so that everyone has a view, central circulation space which together guard the secret and in this case, the garden, on the inside, unless you fly to work that is, which not many people do.

apple all over

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Sounds like the problem with our society... We idolize people who can criticize, but don't actually do the work themselves.

"Idolize" is a strong word. I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread other than the OP had even heard of him prior to him daring to criticize something Apple paid for. He is quite respected in the field, enough so to have been brought in as an advisor on projects with legitimate cultural influence. I'll just leave this here for your later perusal if you'd like. The bottom line is that knee-jerk assuming someone in the news (and not just this guy, as I've seen this happen multiple times on this forum) not singing praises for Apple is a hack or has unsavory motives is completely uncalled for.

Personally, I think his assessment is technically correct, but I don't think Apple is trying to cater to the architecturally obsessed with the design of this building.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread other than the OP had even heard of him prior to him daring to criticize something Apple paid for.
If the News Bot has "heard of him" before today, I think we have bigger issues. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not the one that chose the News Bot's current name >.>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Idolize" is a strong word. I'd be surprised if anyone in this thread other than the OP had even heard of him prior to him daring to criticize something Apple paid for. He is quite respected in the field, enough so to have been brought in as an advisor on projects with legitimate cultural influence. I'll just leave this here for your later perusal if you'd like. The bottom line is that knee-jerk assuming someone in the news (and not just this guy, as I've seen this happen multiple times on this forum) not singing praises for Apple is a hack or has unsavory motives is completely uncalled for.

Nope, never heard of him. But I really couldn't care less if he likes Apple's design or not. I just hate people who build their career by being a critic and not actually doing the work themselves. I read the bio you linked and looked at his Wikipedia page, neither of which have hanged my opinion of him. It's easy to complain about something; It's hard to do it right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I think the 1st comment in 'Skynets' link somes it up

Nonsense writes
An Architecture critic, and being paid as such, has to write something

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nope, never heard of him. But I really couldn't care less if he likes Apple's design or not.

Except your initial thought before even knowing that much about him was "He must be a jealous architect," later to be changed to disapproval of his profession.

This is getting off topic, though. On the subject of the building itself, I seem to recall reading a while back that Steve Jobs had a certain amount of input when it came to the design. Can anyone find the article saying as much? I always found his level of micromanaging interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Except your initial thought before even knowing that much about him was "He must be a jealous architect," later to be changed to disapproval of his profession.

This is getting off topic, though. On the subject of the building itself, I seem to recall reading a while back that Steve Jobs had a certain amount of input when it came to the design. Can anyone find the article saying as much? I always found his level of micromanaging interesting.

Yes, you're right, my first thought was that no matter what he said to the press he would not have turned down the opportunity to have his name associated with the Apple 'mothership.' Then I realized he wasn't an architect and came to conclusion #2.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.