how to change macbook identity

Reaction score
hey everyone

i recently inherited a macbook pro from my best mate who passed away and would like to change over the identity and reinstall the operating system and everything back to factory settings.

i have 2 discs, "mac os x install dvd" and "applications install dvd" that have come in the box.

could anyone tell me how to do this please?

thanks,
matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Welcome to M-F matty . .

I could give you a long winded version but to make thngs simple and save me typing, ill link you to This page. See how you go and if you need more answers, pop back in and we will be happy to helpl :)
Good luck

Chers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Sorry about your friend.

OP
M
Reaction score
Welcome to M-F matty . .

I could give you a long winded version but to make thngs simple and save me typing, ill link you to This page. See how you go and if you need more answers, pop back in and we will be happy to helpl :)
Good luck

Chers

thanks for the response, i have tried this already and it comes up with a box and his name and to submit a password which i have no idea what it would be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Assuming this is Snow Leopard,...

Put the Install DVD in the drive. Reboot the Mac while holding down the "option" key. This will show you available devices that you can boot to. Select the DVD.

Once booted to the DVD choose the Applications menu and select Disk Utility. This app will give you the option to erase the HD. Once erased you can install a fresh copy of OS X.

Snow Leopard has a built safety net that detects a previous install and preserves the user directory and user data. Without erasing the HD first you will only perform an OS repair.

OP
M
Reaction score
Assuming this is Snow Leopard,...

Put the Install DVD in the drive. Reboot the Mac while holding down the "option" key. This will show you available devices that you can boot to. Select the DVD.

Once booted to the DVD choose the Applications menu and select Disk Utility. This app will give you the option to erase the HD. Once erased you can install a fresh copy of OS X.

Snow Leopard has a built safety net that detects a previous install and preserves the user directory and user data. Without erasing the HD first you will only perform an OS repair.

that worked wonders, tyvm :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.