• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac for hdv editing

Reaction score
Hi. I am interested in getting a mac pro for hdv editing. I am unsure of weather or not it will be up to the task with my hardware selections. Here are the specifications:

* Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
* 4GB (4 x 1GB)
* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* 500GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
* ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)
* One 16x SuperDrive
* Apple Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - U.S. English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English

I was worried that the 4 gbs of ram might be too slow. I am not made of money though, and spending another $2000 for 8 gbs of Ram (4x 2 gbs modules as opposed to 8x 1 gb modules because then I could upgrade to 16 gbs, but I don't know if that is needed), is a bit expensive. Keep in mind that I need to buy a camera as well. My main concern is that with 4 cores of processing power, will each one use 1 gb of memory? If so, wouldn't it be like operating a single core with 1 gb of memory?

I just don't want to turn it on expecting to be able to edit smoothly and then realize that my Ram is not sufficient enough.

Any info would be great. Thanks.

PS. The cameras I will be uploading video from are: The Sony FX1, the Canon XH-A1 and the Panasonic AG-HVX200.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
It will be fine, I edit HD video on my MacBook with 2 gig

OP
M
Reaction score
How many cpu cores does your macbook have? Do you experience any lags or freeze-ups while rendering?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
Going by the sys. req. of FCP; 2GB is required for HD editing, and 4GB is recommended.

I was worried that the 4 gbs of ram might be too slow. I am not made of money though, and spending another $2000 for 8 gbs of Ram (4x 2 gbs modules as opposed to 8x 1 gb modules because then I could upgrade to 16 gbs, but I don't know if that is needed), is a bit expensive. Keep in mind that I need to buy a camera as well. My main concern is that with 4 cores of processing power, will each one use 1 gb of memory? If so, wouldn't it be like operating a single core with 1 gb of memory?

First of all, just get the minimum amount of RAM from Apple, and buy extra elsewhere (prices for Apple's RAM is OTT).

I'm not sure how the memory is managed, but even if 1GB is assigned to each core, it won't be like running a single core machine with 1GB of RAM... it would be like running 4 single core machines, each with 1GB of RAM all sharing the workload.

With those specs I guarantee it will do absolutely anything you throw at it, and providing the apps support multi-threading, it will do it flipping fast!

OP
M
Reaction score
Interesting. I have read that apple's ram is way too expensive, but would they honor an extended warranty if I were to get ram from another source and install it myself? Also, can you buy ram that is as fast as the ram apple use? I really hate messing with computers and don't want to mess up my $6000 investment but it would be great to have more ram for less money than what apple sells theirs for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz MBP w/ 2GB of ram and 320 GB HD, 4GB iPhone, 60GB iPod
i do HDV editing on my 1.83 CD imac with 1.5 gig of ram with no rendering issues, etc.

that mac pro is way more than you will need honestly. but hey, if youve got the money, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Adding third-party RAM won't affect your warranty; but if you damage other components while fitting it (I don't think you would/could... it's made to be user installable), or if the third-party RAM was faulty then that obviously wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Check here for memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
i do HDV editing on my 1.83 CD imac with 1.5 gig of ram with no rendering issues, etc.

that mac pro is way more than you will need honestly. but hey, if youve got the money, go for it.

If he's doing anything intense then its probably less then what he needs, I have a quad g5 and it barely gets me by.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
lol 8GB. Please don't wast you money with that much Ram. 2-4GBs are all you need especially if you don't have money to wast. You might even find that buying a external hard drive is cheaper as well, maybe you could even get a 1TB HD, and 250-500gb of internal memory if you need a lot of space. The CPU speed is a nice speed but if you want the other configuration you might as well go with the 3.0GHZ. The graphics card is a little high to, i would think that 256mb would be enough but all this depends on what and how seriously you are editing and you demand with the productions. And I also have a FX1. PM me if you want to know more.

OP
M
Reaction score
Basically I want a system that will be able to handle demanding processes if need be, and I also want it to be usable in 4-5 years. I hate not having enough power in a computer to do what I need it to. As to what I need it to do, I am editing low-budget features and creating music as well. I may even get into basic effects etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 5K iMac 4ghz 32gb 4gb Graphics - Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.4ghz quad i7 16gb ram
What editing software do you think you will be using.

OP
M
Reaction score
I will be using the latest version of final cut pro as well as adobe premiere 2.0 and vegas video.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
How many cpu cores does your macbook have? Do you experience any lags or freeze-ups while rendering?

Two cores

No lags, or freeze ups

OP
M
Reaction score
No lags? Great.

I have realized that I can install the ram and hds myself, which will significantly lower the price. These are my new specs:

-x2 3.0 ghz quad core intel xeon cpus
-ati x1900 512mb gpu

(everything else stock). plus:

-4 gbs of ram (x2 2gbs. Purchased from third party).
-x1 74 gb 10,000 k wd raptor hd (Purchased from third party).
-x1 500 gb wd 7200 rpm sata2 hd (purchased from third party).

The great thing about this is that I will only be spending about $500-$700 more for a huge difference in cpu power as well as the ability to upgrade my ram if need be. Does anyone know the ghz equivalent of 2 3.0 quad core xeons vs. two dual core 2.66 ghz xeons? It seems the 3.0 ghz qcs would be over twice as fast as the 2 2.66 ghz cpus, but I am not sure.

Is it normal to get a boner from buying a new pc? Lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8
Yes, it is normal. I had one when I bought My 17" MacBookPro. Delicious. Btw, I personally wouldn't buy WD HDs, I've just had a lot of them die on me and losing 500+ gB worth of projects etc is no fun. I prefer Seagate, but that's just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does anyone know the ghz equivalent of 2 3.0 quad core xeons vs. two dual core 2.66 ghz xeons? It seems the 3.0 ghz qcs would be over twice as fast as the 2 2.66 ghz cpus, but I am not sure.

I'm not quite sure what the question is, but 8 cores running at 3GHz is obviously a lot faster than 4 cores running at 2.66GHz.

The thing is, the number of cores only really matters with multi-thread capable applications (ones that can use more than one core), but as all Macs have been shipping with multiple cores in the last 18 months (give or take); that's gonna become a standard feature anytime soon (and I'm pretty sure all the Pro apps already are...). Even when you're not taking advantage of the multiple cores, the 3.0GHz is the fastest chip in a Mac right now, so you'll still be flying.

OP
M
Reaction score
Good...it's normal. Haha. :D

Hmmm...that's not good that your wd drives died. From everyone I have heard, it is a toss-up between wd and seagate. They are both good drives. I have never personally owned a seagate. Not for any reason other than the fact that wd haven't given me any major issues. It would depend on which brand was quieter, and which brand was faster. I have heard that seagate are quieter and wd are faster, but I don't know. I thought wds had more cache.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.