Applecare Questions

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

It will be one year on February 23th that I bought my mac, and now is the time when I must decide whether or not to buy applecare. after thinking about it for a while, the money would be well worth it just for the peace of mind. now, if you don't mind, I just have a few questions:

1) Am I making the right move, getting Applecare? Any opinions on this?

2) I have a minor cosmetic scratch on the bottom shell on my macbook, right from where the left arrow points to the right arrow points (gotta love skitch!):
20080210-ttp52n1eukutbqu4hshimffn62.jpg
To be honest, it's not horrible, but it kinda bugs me. Could AppleCare do anything about it?

3) What's their policy on handing out new computers? Of course, I wouldn't take advantage of the warranty, but I've heard WONDER stories of Apple technicians giving Applecare owners new (upgraded) laptops when they can't fix theirs (or it's been in the shop too many times).

4) Again, I have to ask, if you've read any of my other threads (unlikely, it's a big place!), I'm dying for a SuperDrive; not getting one was the biggest mistake i've made, and I've returned many external hard drives when they didn't work that well in toast, etc. any way I could get a new one (involving Applecare, or not)?

5) Where's the cheapest place to get one? I've looked on ebay, and found them for around 170 bucks. That seems like a good deal, but has anyone found any better deals?

6) What's the point of signs that say "Seeing Eye Dogs Only"? Who's supposed to be reading that? The blind man or the dog?

With the last question obviously being a joke, I just want to thank you in advance for answering my questions. I love Mac-Forums! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd do a search on "Applecare" at the forums. This has been discussed many, many times and you'll find lots of great information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Hi everyone-

It will be one year on February 23th that I bought my mac, and now is the time when I must decide whether or not to buy applecare. after thinking about it for a while, the money would be well worth it just for the peace of mind. now, if you don't mind, I just have a few questions:

1) Am I making the right move, getting Applecare? Any opinions on this?

2) I have a minor cosmetic scratch on the bottom shell on my macbook, right from where the left arrow points to the right arrow points (gotta love skitch!):
20080210-ttp52n1eukutbqu4hshimffn62.jpg
To be honest, it's not horrible, but it kinda bugs me. Could AppleCare do anything about it?

3) What's their policy on handing out new computers? Of course, I wouldn't take advantage of the warranty, but I've heard WONDER stories of Apple technicians giving Applecare owners new (upgraded) laptops when they can't fix theirs (or it's been in the shop too many times).

4) Again, I have to ask, if you've read any of my other threads (unlikely, it's a big place!), I'm dying for a SuperDrive; not getting one was the biggest mistake i've made, and I've returned many external hard drives when they didn't work that well in toast, etc. any way I could get a new one (involving Applecare, or not)?

5) Where's the cheapest place to get one? I've looked on ebay, and found them for around 170 bucks. That seems like a good deal, but has anyone found any better deals?

6) What's the point of signs that say "Seeing Eye Dogs Only"? Who's supposed to be reading that? The blind man or the dog?

With the last question obviously being a joke, I just want to thank you in advance for answering my questions. I love Mac-Forums! :)

1) AppleCare is the best money I've ever spent, it saved me over $6,000

2) They don't really do anything for cosmetic damage.

3) I got a new computer, but only after I had 4 repairs for the same problem, and it could never get fixed. I called and spoke to a supervisor and they made the decision to replace my machine. You really have to have a lot go wrong to get a new computer.

4) You can probably buy a super drive and have apple install it (you would have to ask as this is not definite) but you would have to pay for the install, they would not cover that with AppleCare.

5) I buy mine at the apple store, you could get it on ebay but I would be a bit leery about it.

6) No idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Yeah, I invoked Apple Care three times for my Macbook, and extended it for my wife's Macbook. They covered my 'groovy' Superdrive (it 'grooved up' discs if I picked it up and moved it around with a CD/DVD in it), a malfunctioning Mighty Mouse (didn't even purchase it with the Macbook; ball quit scrolling one day), and something else that I forget.

It's a great little bit of insurance if you absolutely are lost without your Macbook, as I am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
5) I'd rather get a refurbished mac than one from eBay since its guaranteed to be working and it'll be covered under warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.