Difference between 10.7 for iMac & 10.7 for Macbook Pro?!?!

Reaction score
I have just set up a new D-Link 655 router for myself (I Mac) and my wife's new Mac-book Pro. (It uses WPA a more secure version than previous D-Link router.)
We are both running the latest version of Lion 10.7.2
When I start my computer I am automatically connected to my network; when she starts her laptop she is asked to choose her network of those available???
With the previous D-Link router she was automatically connected like me (Security was a WEP key.
D-Link say this is a feature of the laptop? Is it?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
it shouldnt be any different. Has she saved the password when she accesses the router?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open System Preferences and then Network. Click on WiFi. Click on Advanced. What networks are listed there? your new router should be the first one in the list. Also if you are not ever going to use the old router, delete that entry from that list also.

OP
C
Reaction score
it shouldnt be any different. Has she saved the password when she accesses the router?

She doesn't touch it so all faults are mine-smile. Yes your right about making sure MY network is first, I had removed the old one from her laptop but just noticed I haven't done the same with mine. I'll try it and see if it works-thanks for feedback, it all helps
:Oops:

OP
C
Reaction score
Didn't change anything she is still prompted to choose a network-the others are neighbors not mine.
BTW whats the difference between WI-Fi and Airport? whenever I loose my service I find it has gone back to Airport instead of WI-Fi
I always thought Airport was a connection like the old "Peer" connection between two Macs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 10.6
THANK YOU for your attempts.

Open System Preferences and then Network. Click on WiFi. Click on Advanced. What networks are listed there? your new router should be the first one in the list. Also if you are not ever going to use the old router, delete that entry from that list also.

Sometimes it must be almost impossible to answer peoples questions because you don't know some of the dumb things we do-GRIN:Blushing::Blushing::Blushing:

Believe it or not the aforesaid problem was caused by me using the default Network name of "dlink".

I have changed it and now problem solved. (Finally found some sound Apple advice to not use the default)

PS How do you add to peoples reputation? The only hyperlink was your name.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There are some small avatars at the bottom of a message on the left hand side of the screen. One looks like a pair of balances. If you click that you can add to a users reputation. There is a Triangle with an ! in it which is for reporting posts that are against forum rules.

C

chas_m

Someone at a class I was teaching once asked me if this city was every going to get free wi-fi everywhere.

I said "this has already happened. Search for a network called 'dlink.'"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone at a class I was teaching once asked me if this city was every going to get free wi-fi everywhere.

I said "this has already happened. Search for a network called 'dlink.'"

Here where I live I probably see more open networks that say Linksys but a few more downtown say Netgear! :D

There was one next door that said Belkin but after people kept using it, they changed it to a long and very dirty SSID. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.