New Smart Cover

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I am no longer sold on the new smart covers. What do you guys really think about them?

I love the idea. I love the look of a pink cover on a white iPad. I love the fact that it puts the system to sleep and wakes it up. I love the fact that it folds into a stand, etc.

But, I'm concerned with having some protection covering the back also. I know for the iPad 1 there are gel and leather and a ton of other 3rd Party covers/cases that work great. But I'm wondering how they would interact with this Smart Cover. If the Smart Cover attaches by a magnetic side-strip, will a cover get in its way?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I pre-ordered the Zagg full body cover for mine today. so I am not worried about the back anymore.

if they made a cover for the back it would have to the a slot cut out so the smart cover could latch on... ...don't know if companies will do that. I am not worried about it cuz I am getting Zagg.

Reaction score
I think the nude feel with the Zagg is great because you feel and see the sleek deign, but I'd rather have some drop protection. I still love the original Apple iPad case because it's just so versatile without adding much bulk.

I was thinking earlier that a nice tight fitting rubber/gelli case for the back side + the smart cover for the front would be a perfect combo. Not sure how these magnets need to fit yet though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I kinda agree with both Leiyah and Jacksonian. And I think I found a happy solution

GROVE MADE

I am not too crazy about their case, but their Bamboo skin looks awesome, and it would work great with the smart cover.

Also there is this one from DoDoCase, but I am not sure if they are going to offer it for the iPad 2 yet
Dodo bookback

I am actually hoping more for the one from DoDo.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The Grove case looks pretty cool - wonder how much it weighs.

Might have to get the skin for around the house and the case for carrying about.

Reaction score
I like the idea of something like the Dodo myself. There must be other companies making back covers like that? Anyone have any ideas?

Reaction score
I like the idea of something like the Dodo myself. There must be other companies making back covers like that? Anyone have any ideas?
Just found the StealthArmor protector from Fusion of Ideas. Looks like a good option as it has several different colors/designs.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
The main difference that strikes me is that the smart cover is just a screen protector, whereas the Apple case for the iPad1 provides protection from minor knocks to the whole device.

When I take my iPad1 with me beyond the house it always travels in another case as well as the Apple case. However when in the house it only has the Apple case. Not sure I would feel as happy with an iPad2 in only the smart cover.

Of course I cannot justify spending £700 less than a year ago on an iPad1 and then discarding that and spending the same again just because a new version is released - so the point is moot really. I might be a little different if I lived in the US and they were on sale for half that price.

The thing that worries me is that the same thing will happen with the iPad as happened with the iPhone - Apple will release an update to iOS which deliberately ruins the old model, in the hope of forcing people to buy the new one.

On the other hand, there is no doubt that if I had not bought an iPad1 I would be very happy to get an iPad2. This contrasts with the iPhone - I don't even like the look of the iPhone4, even if my iPhone3G is now much slower than it was with iOS3. However, having tried an Android I would probably still buy an iPhone, even if it had to be an iPhone4 :D

Reaction score
My thoughts on the smart cover (posted in the poll thread also):

I got a red one and black one. Short version, they're neat, but I don't think they'll work for me. I LOVE that they are so minimalist, they really barely add any thickness to the iPad at all. And it's a cool idea. But I need something to cover the back of the iPad and protect in case of accidental drops (or sliding off the bed/table/desk). I'm just afraid that with that slick aluminum back that I'd drop that puppy.

I was a fan of the original iPad case because of the all around protection. I really wish they'd make a new and improved "smart" version of that case.

In comparison, the iPad 1 with the Apple case is positively obese compared to the iPad 2 with the smart cover. And if you were a fan of carrying the iPad 1 around the house naked (the iPad that is), then you'll likely love the smart cover.

So I'm not knocking the cover itself, it's a cool concept and design. It just doesn't offer enough protection for me and I want something with a little more grip on the back.

I'm looking for a new case solution. I've seen pics of a Speck PixelSkin HD that looks like what I'm after, if it's not too floppy/sticky/rubbery like some of the speck stuff I've tried.

What would be a cool combo is the smart cover + the Colcasac Uintah sleeve.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Short version, they're neat, but I don't think they'll work for me.

I was a fan of the original iPad case because of the all around protection. I really wish they'd make a new and improved "smart" version of that case.

I wouldn't be surprised if many share your view - I guess we'll see over the next few weeks. Case suppliers certainly will breathe a sigh of relief if so. It must be an unspoken part of Apple's strategy, and a bit of genius. Design a case that everyone will buy initially - but eventually discard. You don't disenfrachise all the little companies making a living covering your devices - yet keep a sizeable part of that market. (Tongue in cheek - but that's how it seemed to play out for iPad 1)

Most people that I know who bought an iPad when it first came out - also bought the Apple cover - but soon replaced it with an aftermarket cover.

The one thing that should come out of this - is better covers by case providers that incorporate the magnetic concept. I think you'll see the "smart" version you mentioned soon enough - just not from Apple.

Reaction score
I actually tried other covers/cases and still preferred the Apple version. For me, it's still one of the most effective and versatile covers. A lot of other similar folio style covers added way too much bulk total and way too much bulk around the bezel when using it.

I want something that offers good protection without adding too much bulk, which is a tough trick. I've got refresh going on all the major case/cover makers web pages, hoping for the right one to pop up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I really like the smart cover. As many of you have said I just need something to keep the back protected.

The Grove cover/case seems to be the best option suggested so far but I just wish the Grove cover/case went a bit higher on the sides/edges to cover the whole back/edges.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might wanna look into stealth armor by Fusion of Ideas.

It's the same idea, but goes up higher.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might wanna look into stealth armor by Fusion of Ideas.

It's the same idea, but goes up higher.

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out but I see no listing (yet) for the iPad 2. :(

Also I just noticed the Grove case/skin takes a month to ship. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked them out but I see no listing (yet) for the iPad 2. :(

Also I just noticed the Grove case/skin takes a month to ship. :(

Here you go... Stealth Armor for iPad 2 preorder

It says they'll ship on Monday. Shipping is a bit pricey for anything above ground.

I had my heart set on the Grove Skin, but I dunno if I can be that patient. I think I am going for the Stealth Armor myself. I kinda like their Carbon skin look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here you go... Stealth Armor for iPad 2 preorder

It says they'll ship on Monday. Shipping is a bit pricey for anything above ground.

I had my heart set on the Grove Skin, but I dunno if I can be that patient. I think I am going for the Stealth Armor myself. I kinda like their Carbon skin look.

Thanks for the info! I ended up going this route for now.

BOOKSTAND2R Macally Peripherals

Maybe I'll keep my smart cover and get a skin down the road depending on how the above case works.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I ended up going this route for now.

BOOKSTAND2R Macally Peripherals

Maybe I'll keep my smart cover and get a skin down the road depending on how the above case works.

Hey KoDorSean, do you have the Macally Bookstand2r on and if so does it work like the smart cover? Does it have protection for the back? I can't really tell from the pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah KoDorSean please let us know how it is when you get it. Some pictures would also be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

This is the second time you've posted this link which goes absolutely nowhere. It doesn't load. It doesn't even show that it's being directed to youtube.

On a different note, that bamboo one is gorgeous, but it looks totally impractical. It must weigh more than the iPad its self. That would be a HUGE no for me, and I'd imagine others as well. Unless that thing is hollowed out, of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.