Mysterious Black Wire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Green iMac G3, 512MB RAM, 40GB, 450MHz, DVD-Rom ; iBook G3 800Mhz, 384MB RAM, DVD-R/W, Airport Card
So, I have a green iMac (450MHz, 512MB RAM[upgrade], 20GB HD) and I was using the hard drive in it to back up some of my music and photos from my PC (with MacDrive) and I was just replacing it now.

I noticed this little black wire before, but just now decided to find out what it is. I've done some looking around, and haven't found much of anything. It has a rubber cover on the end of it's connector and it fits onto this plastic extension part. I assume it goes to some part of something that slides into the two plastic support-looking things, as it has a connector that looks to be like the same one on the back of the DVD-Rom.

Here's a picture:
connector.jpg

The connector only:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/dead_at_mind/connector2.jpg

If anyone knows what this wire does, and what it connects to, mostly what would go in this vacant place, I would appreciate this.

Thanks
Kevin.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Green iMac G3, 512MB RAM, 40GB, 450MHz, DVD-Rom ; iBook G3 800Mhz, 384MB RAM, DVD-R/W, Airport Card
Heh

Sorry that last one is so huge.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does your iMac have an Airport card installed?

Just checked about your machine, that looks like the Airport Cards antenna connector. The Airport requires an adapter that mounts on those 2 plastic mounts.

Your machine is the iMac G3 450Mhz correct?

Here is a URL for the Airport Adapter to hold the card.

http://www.airportcardsolutions.com/aicaad.html

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh.

I thought it might be something to do with an airport card.

Aren't the actual cards difficult to find?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the original airport cards are tougher to find. you can get an airport extreme from apple.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Moved to correct forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.