External hard drive help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and iPad
I want to buy an external hard drive for my iMac, and
I'm lost on which to buy since I don't know much.
I have the newest iMac. I use it for photoshop, iMovie, Final cut, and stuff like that.
Any advice, links, reviews, or information on the best external hard drive will help me a lot.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
There's no best. Get something USB 3.0 that is in your budget.

In the spring, I bought 2 Seagate 1 TB USB 3.0 external drives for our new iMac & MBPro to run Time Machine - reformatted both to Mac OS Extended; needed to do a minor firmware update from the Seagate web site (may not be needed now after 6 monte?).

Of course, there are numerous other options and I'm sure that others will 'chime in' w/ their choices.

P.S. the Seagate (1 TB) is available from Amazon for $70.

31JsdLorsDL.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
You do not say which model Mac, year, or OS you have. There is currently an issue with WD drives and Mavericks IF you use the WD software. If you do not use the WD software and just partition and format OS extended journaled, you will be fine with a WD ext hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Which ever one you buy, don't bother installing any software that comes with it. There's no need. If it's not already formatted foe Mac, then just use Disk Utility.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and iPad
Thanks for the replies I guess I am leaning towards the Seagate, and I know now that I shouldn't install the software. I am going to wait till a little after Thanksgiving if there is any input I'd appreciate it.
I have a 21.5 Inch Late 2012 running on Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" rMBP Mid-2014 ~ iPad 4 16GB ~ iPhone 6 Plus 16GB
+1 for Seagate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8-core MacPro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Just ordered the 1 TB version of the drive above - 50% more expensive than the 1 TB Seagate external HDs that I bought in the spring for Time Machine backups, but like the description on the website and the warranty - will arrive next week. Plan to put two partitions on the drive then using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner), clone my MBPro & iMac and hope that I can boot each machine - talked to their tech staff who was 'pretty' confident (apparently a problem w/ some of the other brands of HHDs?). Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's time machine and why is it important?

Hi Jon... - Time Machine is Apple's OS X built-in backup program - check HERE for more information - the app's icon (pic below) should be in your Applications folder in Finder and also shown in Lauchpad (or in an Other folder) - assumed that was the reason you wanted an external hard drive. For myself, my 1 TB Seagate drives are dedicated just to that purpose, which is the usual recommendation but not a necessity. Dave :)

hero_timemachine_lg.jpg

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and iPad
Hi Jon... - Time Machine is Apple's OS X built-in backup program - check HERE for more information - the app's icon (pic below) should be in your Applications folder in Finder and also shown in Lauchpad (or in an Other folder) - assumed that was the reason you wanted an external hard drive. For myself, my 1 TB Seagate drives are dedicated just to that purpose, which is the usual recommendation but not a necessity. Dave :)

hero_timemachine_lg.jpg

ohh okay that Link explains a lot. I was just going to use the external drive to save all my movies, pictures, songs, and stuff to keep my Mac clean, but backing it up sounds like a better alternative.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ohh okay that Link explains a lot. I was just going to use the external drive to save all my movies, pictures, songs, and stuff to keep my Mac clean, but backing it up sounds like a better alternative.

Hi again - actually, I believe that one should have multiple backups - I've had 3 external 'mechanical' HDs crash on me over the years, so relying on just one backup of your important data is overly optimistic in my experience. For my MBPro (which has my photos & music), I'm not only using the Seagate 1 TB HHD w/ Time Machine (TM), but I also periodically backup my Docs/Pics/Music to a La Cie 120 GB SSD - not cheap but I do trust it more and these are the files that I've invested the most time in making and would miss the most. I'm about to also 'clone' the laptop using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner).

For our iMac, also TM running on another Seagate HD, plus the Docs/Pics/Music etc. being backed up online using Carbonite; in addition will also clone the computer w/ CCC. Now I'm retired but if these files or others were related to my business, I would keep a backup 'off site', like in a bank vault or in an office in case of a natural disaster. Overly careful - don't know? Good luck! Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini: OSX 10.15.6 Catalina, 8GB Ram, Samsung Series 5 SC570 monitor, Seagate external drive.
I recently replaced my 6 yr old Seagate 250 GB with a new Seagate 2T.
Works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.