Couple of odd quirks after latest round of OS patches and upgrades

Reaction score
I updated to OS X Lion just after it came out. No problems at all with the upgrade. Recently, I applied the round of patches that came out supporting, I believe, various features and so forth of iCloud.

Since doing these recent patches, I have noticed the following quirks and am wondering if you all have ideas on how to correct these things.

MAC OS X Lion 10.7.2
iMac 3.4ghz i7 8G

1. The background login screen image on my iMac is now only filling the upper right 25% of the screen. It luckily shows enough for me to see the image I need to select to get the login prompt. Interestingly, if I move the mouse into the other 75%, which is only solid black, it begins to draw small little squares of the background where ever I move the mouse. Ideas?

2. Safari won't allow me to login to the AT&T wireless website. Once I enter the login information, it simply redisplays the login screen. I've used the account, after getting this error, on other computers with say Windows Explorer just fine. Ideas?

3. I have a Western Digital Live Hub, the 1 terabyte model. I used to be able to view it via the shared device selection in iTunes. Once I select the device it simply displays the "clocking mouse" indefinitely. This still works on my wife's laptop with the previous version of OS X. Ideas?

All of these worked fine before doing the latest round of patches.

Thanks for any help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me check on those and get back to you. I have had some issues with AT&T Wireless site and Safari for a few months now, so for me was not the latest update.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've got two of the three figured out, and am testing the fix for the third.

2. Safari won't allow me to login to the AT&T wireless website. Once I enter the login information, it simply redisplays the login screen. I've used the account, after getting this error, on other computers with say Windows Explorer just fine. Ideas?

I found where this has also happened to others, the fix is simple, Reset Safari, I choose not to do Top Sites.

3. I have a Western Digital Live Hub, the 1 terabyte model. I used to be able to view it via the shared device selection in iTunes. Once I select the device it simply displays the "clocking mouse" indefinitely. This still works on my wife's laptop with the previous version of OS X. Ideas?

Apparently, Samba support was removed because of a licensing change for Samba.

Mac os X Lion with wd tv live - Western Digital Community

I thought I'd post these fixes in case it helps someone else. If my fix for issue 1 ends up working, I'll post that tomorrow.

OP
S
Reaction score
1. The background login screen image on my iMac is now only filling the upper right 25% of the screen. It luckily shows enough for me to see the image I need to select to get the login prompt. Interestingly, if I move the mouse into the other 75%, which is only solid black, it begins to draw small little squares of the background where ever I move the mouse. Ideas?

I was able to mask this one by turning off Guest User for Safari.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.